Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

universal serial port communication, I have no idea

Solved!
Go to solution

VISA is used to communicate with something external to the PC.  Serial ports, Ethernet, LXI, GPIB, etc.. almost any communicatoins bus that connects your PC to something else.  To pass information from a LabVIEW Control to a LabVIEW Indicator on the same front panel you don't need VISA, you need a wire.  Like this:

No VISA.png

Please go through the getting started guide.  There are also online tutorials to help understand the basics of LabVIEW

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(2,380 Views)

Precious,

who makes the USBpt0-serial port adapter?  Example:  Startech... They make cheap to higher cost devices.  Depending on the chipset they are using, they have different drivers to support the device.  You first need to find and install the appropriate driver.

Since you are using win7, you need to locate within the control panel the drivers section.  You can display the hardware devices.  You should be able to see the usb-to-serial adapter and it will show you which port was assigned to it.  COM1 is NOT the default port.  It is often assigned to COM3, because legacy PC's had 2 COM ports (COM1 & 2). 

Once you have this, you should try out the serial ports using a basic application like terraterm or equivalent.  I don't think hyperterminal exists anymore, although it may be found somewhere on the net.  Use that to prove that you can "see" the COM port. 

Once you achieved that on both PC's, you will need to create a NULL modem cable to interface the 2 com ports together so that you can communicate between PCs, otherwise you will see nothing (you have to figure out why... that's your assignment...  you need to learn something).

Once you have both PCs talking to each other, you can then celebrate by grabbing your favorite beverage or better yet, sharing your favorite beverage with your significant other..  You can play cool games like chatting over the 2 PCs while enjoying the beverage.  No need to purchase an iPhone (whose warranty sucks) or any other smartphone... You can text over the serial port.  Enjoy 😄

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(2,361 Views)

Hi!

Thanks to Jeff, Ray and others. I have got the solution of my problem. I think I was mixing up things myself.

However your contributions have build up my knowledge. I just needed more simpler VI as what Jeff you have given to me.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(2,325 Views)