Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ViPrintf Timeout

Hi,

I have been writing a GPIB Labwindows Program using ViPrintf statements and also tried ViWrite statements in place of ViPrintf.

With the instrument I am communicating with I get Timeout Popups stating that the Operation did not complete before the Timeout

occurred.

Any Ideas?

Thank You,

Gary

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,542 Views)

I rewrote the program so that I used ibwrt and ibrd  I get errors with this other program such as ENOL Timeout.  When I have timeout set

for 10 seconds it still times out.  It is not because of VISA library  It is looking like the problem is the Physical connection or the device I am trying to talk to.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,527 Views)

The box I was sending messages to required that I read the messages right after writing one message.  And I disabled Serial Polling.  Addiitionally

after reading the responses immediately and displaying the responses I found out which messages were not accepted by the box.

Messages accepted without errors do not timeout.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,514 Views)

Hey Gary,

Thanks for posting all the steps you went through thus far Smiley Happy ! After reading the messages after writing, are your timeout errors eliminated?

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,508 Views)

Hi Justin,

Yes, I was getting timeouts after sending a message that was faulty.  By reading all responses immediately after sending a message I could identify the bad message. 

After a bad message was sent the Instrument, the Instrument will expect a *CLS to clear the instrument.  If I just send messages back to back without reading the responses and I send a bad message the next message I send after the bad message will timeout because the instrument will no longer respond.  The instrument is waiting

to be cleared.

Thank You,

Gary

Message Edited by golson on 07-10-2009 06:36 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,497 Views)