From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA write communications error in switch from Windows 7 to XP

I am running a program in LabVIEW which uses an rs-232 serial port to control a Braintree Scientific BS-8000 syringe pump 
through string commands.

I have it working 100% on a windows 7 computer in LabVIEW 2012 but it will not work on a windows xp computer in LabVIEW 2011 (which my client requires it to run on). All of the drivers are up to date, and all of the com port settings are set properly, yet the program will not communicate with the syringe pump on the XP operating system.

Besides this issue, the program works just fine. I tested the serial port using a feedback program and the port sends and receives data properly using LabVIEW. I am not sure if this is a windows XP problem, or a serial port issue with LabVIEW or something else.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,329 Views)
Are you using the same cable?
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,321 Views)

Yeah I am using an RS-232 to RJ-11 phone jack serial cable. It's an interesting cable but it works with LabVIEW VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,311 Views)

No idea, except something not installed, but you wrote LabVIEW is working.

The only thing I can think of more is an endcharacter that is different on the client machine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,302 Views)

I've been trying other solutions and so far i found that it isn't the operation system. It has the same problem on 7 and XP. Also I tested LabVIEW's communication with the serial port and it can successfully write to it. I checked the endcharacters and they match to my program. My serial port drivers are all up to date. My baud rate and other settings are in agreement. I'm not sure what it could be. Do you think it could be a hardware issue with the computer?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,290 Views)

So probably a cabling problem now. Check all connections and how did you check that LabVIEW really is sending data?

By using an oscilloscope this can be done or by another pc but probably you need another cable for that.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,276 Views)