Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS doesn't work/install properly on new system

Hi,

I'm trying to change instrument control from older labtop to an up to date system. Both the old and new system run with Windows XP. However after installing the Ni-488.2 on the new Labtop it just wouldn't work and I don't get any error message. The problem appears to be the one discribed by "vopt" in his thread from "09-19-2007", but I couldn't retrieve the solution there.
On the old system I have MAX 3.1, NI Visa 3.1 and NI-488.2 version 2.30. On the new system I use MAX 4.4.1 and NI Visa tells me it is "Version of Implementation 4.2" and "Version of Specification 4.0", I reinstalled the latest NI-488.2 drivers I could find (2.52).

Most of all I am bothered by the following facts:
1. that the adapter shows up in MAX as GPIB0, passes all troubleshooting utility tests.
2. the adapter does NOT show up in the windows task bar under USB devices (though it does in the old system)
3. My instruments are found in MAX (correctly below "GPIB0") and I can WRITE "basic i/o", which are executed by the instrument, I cannot query or read (time out), at least it appears so
4. The "Ready"-LED at the adapter is constantly yellow instead of green

Oh, and I use an NI-DAQmx interface on the new system, might there arise an unreported conflict? Is it actually a windows XP problem, or do I need to install the software in a special order?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

thanks a lot,
Carsten

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,987 Views)

Hi Carsten,

below you can find a software for deinstallation and registry clean. Please deinstall the NI-488.2 driver and reinstall the driver. A registry clean could help you.

NI-488.2 2.5 - Windows 2000/Vista x64/Vista x86/XP - Support for Microsoft Windows Vista

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/335/lang/de

Please update the MAX database.

How Do I Recover From MAX Database Corruption?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/86256F0E001DA9FF86256FFD005B827C?OpenDocument

Also reinstall the NI-VISA driver.

NI-VISA 4.3 - PharLap, VxWorks, Windows 2000/CE/Mobile 5/Vista x64/Vista x86/XP

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/988/lang/de

You should try to use the device on different USB ports. 

Best regards

Rüdiger

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,932 Views)

Hello Carsten,

I talked to a colleague and it seems that there should not be any driver problem, because the device passes all troubleshooting utility tests. The yellow LED light means that the device is connected to a high speed USB port. There could be a problem with your instrument or the GPIB setup. Could you please sent me screen shots of your MAX GPIB configurations or an example of your LabVIEW code. Has the instrument you are communicating with changed?

It seems that there is no need to reinstall drivers or software (sorry!).

Best regards

Rüdiger

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,920 Views)
Thanks for your comments so far Rüdiger,

right now I'm a bit busy, so it might take 1 or 2 days before I can  perform another  test. Up to now I figured out, that there might also be a problem with my USB port, not having enough power. According to the specs the GPIB-USB-HS might need the whole 500 mA and after a discussion with Dell's technical support, I was told 500 mA is the maximum the ports are specified for. Anyway it's pretty close and being a Labtop, maybe it's missing a few mA, so I will take a chance with a self-powered USB-Hub first.

Meanwhile I cleared all NI-software from the new system and installed the initial drivers, the adapter was bought with ( MAX 3.1, NI Visa 3.1 and NI-488.2 version 2.30). After that Windows XP finally recognized the USB-device and it also showed up in MAX like before, but it still wouldn't work. That really puzzles me.

best regards

Carsten

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,915 Views)
I am having a similar issue. 
My GPIB-USB-HS appears to install correctly but I cannot use the interface to communicate.

The GPIB-USB-HS does not show up as A USB Device.
Measurement and Automation Explorer sees the Interface but not the device, a 4407B.
The GPIB-USB-HS ready light is constant Yellow.

I unitstalled my older version of NI and installed the 2.5 version that came with the new controller.

I have tried both direct PC ports and powered replicators.

Any Ideas

Thanks
AH
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,698 Views)
Hi AH,

I had to take care of some other problems in between and didn't test all possible solutions yet. However I had a discussion with NI-support at the phone back then and another possible solution to the specific problem could be, that the instrument awaits a non-standard end-of-command-string, e.g.: \n  - or whatever. If the right one isn't issued, the instrument will of course produce a time out. But you can tell MAX to use another command somewhere. Haven't tried that yet.

good luck,
Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,665 Views)
I am having a problem connecting to an Agilent 8164A via an NI GPIB-USB-HS cable.  I am running Microsoft 2000 (updated to Service Pack 4), and LabVIEW 7.1.  I have tried to run the Measurement & Automation Explorer, which will recognize the GPIB-USB-HS cable, but will not recognize the device when I perform an "automatic detection" with the M&A explorer.  I have tried using another Agilent 8164A, which is recognized by the same computer, using all the same software (LabVIEW 7.1, Windows 2000).  I am wondering if there is a way that I can troubleshoot the GPIB card in the first device, or if anyone can give / show me where I can find the serial number for the GPIB card in the Agilent 8164A, in the case that I should have to replace it?  Thank you!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,661 Views)

Problem is solved!

Finally the problem got solved, as I was able to find the time to deal with again. After having tried all suggestions made by the NI-Support, I finally figured out, that there was a problem with a *.dll of the instrument manufacturer. After installing a new one (still a couple of years old) the problem was completely gone. So there was actually no problem with any of the NI products in the system.

Basically a dumb user, who caused all the trouble.

Thanks to all for your help!

Carsten 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,447 Views)

Hai ,

I have connected my laptop with signal generator using GPIB USB HS interface card .

I have installed NI 488.2 version 2.7.3. in myaptop.

After i connected to my laptop In device manager , i can able to see "National Instruments " under that "GPIB USB HS"

But in the Measurements & Explorer tab , after i gave scan for instruments , it is showing "instrument not found"

Can any one please help me ? It is very urgent . How to find the connected instument gpib address?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,504 Views)