Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use USB 6341 as a serial device

Solved!
Go to solution

Platform: Windows10

LabVIEW 2016

I wrote a software (not LabView) which can listen to multiple serial devices data as long as the format are correct. 

Is it possible to configure the USB-6341 to act as a serial device that will output data to a COM port so that my software can listen to USB-6341 through the COM port? In summary, I want to send the collected data from USB-6341 to Putty serial connection. 

I found several resource about configuring LabView to communicate with other serial device, but I didn't find anything about making LabView/NI-Box act as a serial device. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,923 Views)

It's not something normally done, because the speed and timing constraints of RS-232 even at a low baud rate, aren't possible with a USB device running under Windows.

Typically, a UART chipset is used for RS-232, or it can be done with an FPGA, this is because with a UART and FPGA you can maintain the timing required for character-to-character.

As a bizarre time-wasting experiment, you can output a digital waveform, provided it's in the correct digital data stream of an RS-232 signal. This requires intimate knowledge of the RS-232 protocol. 

Since the USB-6431 is already connected and running from the PC, can you use the RS-232 of the PC to send what data you need?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,897 Views)

In addition, the DAQ will not show up as a COM port for use in Putty.  If you really need a RS-232 connection, I recommend looking at Startech and get one of their USB-RS232 devices.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,889 Views)

So if I simply want Labview to write to Putty (or any serial terminals), I will have to use an additional hardware USB-RS232 in order to convert digital waveform to serial data.

Originally, I thought I could create a virtual COM port in LabView and write to it. Using Putty to connect to that virtual COM port to received the data. Base on yours answer, that seems not to be the case. 

I guess Labview is not meant to be a slave/server of other applications. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,882 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RLinLean

To clarify, the USB-6341 is not an embedded device, it is only an electronic circuit(s) allowing the output of digital or analog signals to and from a PC via the USB interface. It only converts analog signals into digital data which are sent to LabVIEW running on the PC.

It's not an 'embedded' system such as a Arduino, Raspberry Pi. I cannot be 'programmed' and used as a 'stand-alone' device.

It's a very high-performance, accurate Analog-Digital converter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,876 Views)