Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use PXI-8532 with C++ or .NET

I can't find any documentation on how to use PXI-8532 DeviceNet card with C++ or .NET only LabView. Since I don't use LabView, can someone point me to the right location?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,537 Views)

You can configure Visa to communicate via PXI:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4713/en/

then use the standard Visa API 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,472 Views)

Can you provide an example. I'm not sure how to configure a PXI-8532 DeviceNet card to communicate via VISA. The PXI-8532 requires the NI-Industrial Communications for DeviceNet which has no C support (NI failed miserably on this).

There are several functions that are needed and there are several LabView VIs that perform those functions. I was hoping for a reference to the nidnetapi.dll so I can call it directly from C++ or create a .NET wrapper like with the older NI-DNET 1.6.7 library used for the PCMCIA-DNET, PCI-DNET, PXI-8461/D cards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,450 Views)

@breyno9363 wrote:

Can you provide an example. I'm not sure how to configure a PXI-8532 DeviceNet card to communicate via VISA. The PXI-8532 requires the NI-Industrial Communications for DeviceNet which has no C support (NI failed miserably on this).

There are several functions that are needed and there are several LabView VIs that perform those functions. I was hoping for a reference to the nidnetapi.dll so I can call it directly from C++ or create a .NET wrapper like with the older NI-DNET 1.6.7 library used for the PCMCIA-DNET, PCI-DNET, PXI-8461/D cards.

Just wondering whether you can use LabVIEW to create DLL that you can call from C++ or .NET

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,431 Views)

I don't have LabView. Also this would require LabView Runtime to be installed (extra software).

This is not a desirable solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,403 Views)

You are right,  in http://www.ni.com/tutorial/14074/en/  they say explicitly :

"Unlike NI-DNET, NI-IndCom for DeviceNet 2.1 or later does not support C based languages."  In other words this board is useless without LabView.  Another solution: sell it and buy a DeviceNet controller board from another brand (there are many, but I don't have any experience with DeviceNet so I can't advice you).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,388 Views)