Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading GPIB system

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a LabView GPIB interface running on an old XP PC system. It runs a Tektronix waveform generator and an Agilent Multimeter. Unfortunately both instruments predate usb buses. The system also has a multiIO card (which I would replace with a usb 16 bit A-D). I would like to upgrade the GPIB system to run on the Community Edition of LabView in Windows 10 or Windows 11. I know GPIB is a dinosaur and it appears it is no longer supported by NI?  I have considerable money invested in the equipment and being retired money is dear. Is it possible to run a GPIB bus on the newer LabView versions or am I just asking for trouble? Any sage advice will e most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,144 Views)

GPIB cards are still actively supported by NI but not the ones released long ago. You need the latest USB-GPIB or PCIe-GPIB card compatible with Win10 or 11.

Yes, LabVIEW has very good support for GPIB cards either through VISA  or GPIB functions.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 7
(1,110 Views)

I was hoping to find a USB solution. When I search products I find the GPIB-USB-HS+ and GPIB-USB-HS devices. But when I look up the specs I find it in the archives with a note the devices are no longer supported.And with a price over $1100 for an unsupported device I'm going to have to swallow awful hard. I also looked up the GPIB-Serial device Model: GPIB-RS232 Part Number: 779732-01 but got a 404 page not found error when I tried to look at the spec sheet.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,098 Views)

The GPIB-USB-HS is listed as a "Mature" lifecycle, which means it is on the way out.  The GPIB-USB-HS+ is still in the active lifecycle, so it should be around and supported for a while yet.

GPIB Instrument Control Device 

GPIB Hardware Installation Guide and Specifications 

The price is my main reason for getting away from GPIB whenever possible.  It is a good bus, but LXI/LAN/TCP/Ethernet seems to have taken it over for instrumentation.  I find LAN easier to setup and consistently use than USB.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(1,081 Views)

If cost is your concern, Prologix has some good low cost alternatives, you need to use their drivers but they seem to have LabVIEW examples too.

https://prologix.biz/product/gpib-usb-controller/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8GF5JjF_QIVVxPUAR3Y2Q5jEAQYBCAB...

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Message 5 of 7
(1,074 Views)

Thank you for the info. I wish I could move to another bus but I have considerable investment in the instruments I have. Even at $1000+ the GPIB module is considerably cheaper than replacing the instrumentation. I'm swallowing hard at the cost as I am retired.

I do have an opportunity to pick up an earlier 778416-01 GPIB-USB-HS+ at a fraction of the cost of a newer pn 783368-01. Does anyone know if it would it work with Windows 10/11 or should I just get the new device and move forward?

I do see the Chinese clones of both the 778416-01 and 783368-01 showing up all over the web but am not interested in them. I really prefer a true NI product and don't mind buying used but it is hard to ferret which a legit and which are clones. It is worth shelling out some money to avoid the headaches.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,068 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Danl_B

Even the Prologix are still USB-GPIB just that they are not NI and use dedicated drivers.

GPIB-USB-HS+  driver vs OS support is as follows,

santo_13_0-1678058885011.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

Message 7 of 7
(1,056 Views)