From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tektronix TDS3012B : incorrect wave form acquirement

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm haru_tank.

From this spring, I was assigned to a university laboratory and was tasked with measuring an oscilloscope in LabVIEW.

In my laboratory, I heard that waveform data has been taken from floppy disks so far. XD

Then, I am trying to measure the oscilloscope, TDS3012B from Tecktronix, using LabVIEW, but I cannot get the correct waveform.

In the attached vi file, I measured white noise by DC coupling.
However, the LabVIEW waveform chart shows DC voltage with no noise at all.

The time waveform saved on the floppy disk of the oscilloscope is noisy, so I think it is a problem on LabVIEW programm.

The same phenomenon occurs in an example program "Tektronix TDS 3000 Series Auto Setup waveform Acquire.vi" from the driver.

How can I get the correct time waveform data from the oscilloscope in LabVIEW?

The attached file contains vi file and the waveform data taken from the floppy disk.

Please check it.

My environment is as follows ;

Thank you for helping.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,220 Views)
Solution
Accepted by haru_tank

I think you have a timing issue.  You are telling the oscilloscope to autosetup, which takes quite a bit of time, and then immediately ask for a waveform that it has not yet captured.  Add a delay after the setup.

You will find that this oscilloscope takes time to handle almost every command, so get used to adding delays.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(1,175 Views)

Indeed, it is a timing issue.

After autoset command, I put a wait function by case structure.
Then the waveform shows correctly.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,130 Views)

Some advice here:

I would recommend using the Stall Data Flow.vim to add your delays.  It is in the Timing palette a little cleaner than a Wait inside of a Sequence Structure.

Five seconds seems overkill.  But I will trust you did testing to show you actually needed that long of a wait.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(1,115 Views)