Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial rs232 to PSP 405, (Hex 0xBFFF0072), no communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I´m trying to communicate my pc to a Instek power supply, the psp 405. Unfortunately it doesn´t use a standard rs232, it is as follows:

Connection diagramConnection diagram

I created my own cable with this specifications, and power on the DTR (pin 4), but since it didnt output 12 V I had to use a external power supply, set the serial settings as it is specified at 2400 baud rate, 8 data bits, etc.

I tried to solve it as they did in this thread: psp 603 serial communication

It has never responded but before the power supply my usb-232 mark it as : —Port is open, but no valid signals detected, But after it , it marks it only as: —port is open

I can also see that is sending the signal.

So all appears to be working but in NI MAX it marks it as (Hex 0xBFFF0072) The resource is valid, but VISA cannot currently access it.

No error appears if I use it in this VI: ni example program I´m using. but nothing happens with any commands, It doesnt read or affect the supply.

Maybe my wiring is incorrect, there´s no enought information so I connect the 12 V towards the supply and united the ground as follows:Connection cables.jpg

I dont know what else to do.

So thank you for any input you may have.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,877 Views)

I thought you have to check the user manual.

The new version added the setting for NI-VISA. May check the step 11 for config DTR pin.

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/Download/DownloadFile/DownloadFile/download%23_%2304_DCPower%23_%2...

if you decided not to purchase the GTL-232A cable, make sure you did well connect.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,740 Views)

Hello, thank you for responding,

I tried to set it on by software first but the output wasn´t near enought to 12 V, hence I tried the solution of that past thread.

Do you think I´m applying it incorrectly?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,733 Views)

If the voltage of DTR pins is not enough, you willl get a “0xbfff0015, time out error” while you try to read the response string from PSP series.

the 0xbfff0072 should the incorrect setting of NI-VISA. May try to reset the NI-VISA.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8awSAC

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,727 Views)

Thank you, as you said , since resetting the ni-visa as instructed,the error now is 0xbfff0015, time out error. I dont understand as of why since I´m using a 12 V- 1A charger output.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,720 Views)

I thought you may try to connect the Pin4 to Pin4. And assert the DTR pin by the step 11 in the programming manual.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,718 Views)

Do you mean this? :

step 11step 11

I had already tried it, pin 4 to pin 4, with that configuration but the output wasnt near to 12 V.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,712 Views)

Do you still get the timeout error for reading?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,694 Views)

Yes, unfortunately, I don't know what else it could be.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,687 Views)
Solution
Accepted by FrancoCG

Found the solution, apparently the guy who weld the new cable didnt understood the manual, he did it backwards, no problem now.

he didnt realize it is like this.inside db9.png

Message 10 of 10
(4,672 Views)