From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Communication Problem

I am trying to control my XItron 2801 Power Analyzer through LabVIEW. I am connecting via rs232, sometimes I am able to do everything I want through the VISA interactive control and other times I get the VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) error. Uninstalling the driver for my USB to rs232 cable and then reinstalling fixes the problem but I don't want to have to do that every time. I have a simple VI made that starts the integration function on the machine and grabs some values from it but I can't seem to get that to work and I'm thinking it is an issue with the VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) error that  I am seeing. I know I have all of my settings correct so I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, my VI is attached.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,941 Views)

Also, the VI seems to not be working at all because once I get past the connection errors in the VISA interactive control I can submit the commands I want in the Interactive Control and see the correct results but I get nothing when I run my VI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,937 Views)

@jstrike21 wrote:

Also, the VI seems to not be working at all because once I get past the connection errors in the VISA interactive control I can submit the commands I want in the Interactive Control and see the correct results but I get nothing when I run my VI

Then there is something wrong with your VI. Do you even know what it is in it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,930 Views)

I posted my VI in the first post and I followed close to how things are done in the LabVIEW example Serial Read and Write. This is why I am confused as to why my program is not working.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,928 Views)

I can't read your VI since I only have LV 8.6

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,926 Views)

Here is the VI:

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/ayq37.png[/IMG]

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,921 Views)

Does the Power Analyzer end its transmitions with a termination character?\

If not, in the Configure Serial Port, you need to wire a FALSE to the Enable Termination Character.

If so, you do not need to check number of bytes at the port.  Just wire a very large number to the VISA Read.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,920 Views)

When I read from the power analyzer it sends a "\n" at the end. Also, when I run the VI the start-integration\n command doesn't start the machines integration even though that is the correct syntax.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,916 Views)

When I run my VI I get this error:

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I think it has something to do with the communication or possibly something else trying to use that com port at the same time but I dont know how to work around or correct this.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,906 Views)

You are telling the analyzer to acquire twice.  I don't know if that is causing any issues.

You might also want to try separating the "READ=" commands from the "?" into two VISA Writes.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,903 Views)