From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCPI specific command does not work with VISA with MTX3293

Solved!
Go to solution
I tried to communicate with VISA, for common commands it works with "*IDN?\n", but when I want to execute a specific command, it gives me an error "VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) The timeout ' wait (timeout) expired before the operation was completed."
I am a beginner with the instrument control part on labview, someone can help me I will be gratefu

i need to communicate with VISA with MTX3293 multimetr , when i run the VISA test pannel with a commun command like "*IDN?\n", it works 

test panel command.PNG

 but when want to execut the specific command  to acquire the continus data from my MTX3293 it gives an error 

instruction.PNG

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) the time out expired before the operation was not completed 

visa error.PNG

im a  beginner with instrument control on LabVIEW , some one help me please 

thank you for all  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ayoubas01

You are sending an invalid command.  SCPI is based on a command hierarchy and you need to go through the hierarchy.  So your command should be ":DATA:CAT?".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,368 Views)

Hi

I did build an isntrument driver via the template. But a lot of the vi's are not yet correct for your instrument,

Because you did try to read out the catalog I did build that example but a lot more vi's have been added from the template.

So only run the "Metrix 329x Read Catalog example.vi" in the examples folder.

That should be working.

If you select the correct baudrate (the same as in the settings of your instrument)

So do not use another vi. If this works we can discuss the next step.

A lot of the other vi's are still to be modified for your instrument but I can't find an easy way to find out which functions you need and how to modify these.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,354 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ayoubas01

Hello , 

the problem is solved with  my multimeter, i did not use VISA to communicate with , i just used some blocks of code from the sub VI of the driver provided on the web site of "Metrix", but be careful , using  direct Sub  Vi only can  not work , case "voltage" sub VI show me in error, i attach a screenshot of my code and programm

Thank you for all for the time devoted to this problem  

Ayoubas01_0-1646321262933.pngAyoubas01_1-1646321287386.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,312 Views)

Hi

Did you test the catalog example I did sent?

And did it work? Or give an empty list that sure is possible if the catalog is empty.

I did not used the driver from Metrix because I don't trust it at all. I saw too many non LabVIEW approaches so I started to build a good VISA version from a template.

The only problem is that the manual does not really specify how to measure voltage or current otherwise I would have used these.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,301 Views)

Thank you  for  your answer ,  

I  tryied your solution but unfortunately doesn't work , actually  i try to measure the voltage from the commands on the  manual  but  it is  not clair the command , suddenly  i was satisfied with  the  driver  as  it worked  with me  , a big thank for  the  support  a the whole  team 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,273 Views)