Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote HP-IB interface

Hi All,I try to communicate old HP-IB siganal generator(HP8656B) throug E5810 LAN/GPIB gateway, is it possible to send HP-BASIC commands through VISA functions.Any information will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,896 Views)

That makes no sense to me. HP-Basic is a programming language like LabVIEW/CVI/VB/C++ is and you use the programming language and available functions to write specific commands to the instrument. For example, there is a function in HP-Basic to write *IDN? to the instrument and a function to read from that instrument. With VISA, you use a VISA Write to send *IDN? and a VISA Read to get the instrument response. You don't use HP-Basic to send HP-Basic to the instrument. The commands you send to the instrument are unique to the instrument and do not change with whatever programming language you use.

Now, HP-Basic had specific GPIB bus control functions (i.e. reset/check stb, etc). If you are trying to find the equivalent function, you need to provide the name of the function you need to replace.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,893 Views)

Thanks Dennis Knutson.

These are HP-BASIC functions for 8656

REMOTE 707

OUTPUT 707; "FR990MHZ"

are below functions  serve the same? 

iwrite(resoucename,"REMOTE",)

iwrite(resoucename,"FR990MHZ",) 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,882 Views)

REMOTE is a HP-Basic GPIB function and not an instrument command. There is viGPIBControlREN that controls the state of the remote enable. You've got the correct idea for the 'FR990MHZ' instrument command. All similar OUTPUT commands in HP-Basic can be converted to a VISA Write and all INPUT commands in HP-Basic can be converted to VISA Reads.

I would hope you have a syntax manual for HP-Basic so that you can look up any other HP-Basic function.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,874 Views)

Thank you Dennis Knutson.

It is working fine. I have tried with similar SICL function as  HP BASIC

functions

Bye.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,847 Views)

Dear Mr. Suryan,

Thank you for using NI Forums. Do let us know if you face any problem in future. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,809 Views)