Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI-GPIB detected but can't communicate

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everybody,

After hours of research I've decided to come here and try and get some help. I'm in weird situation, let me explain:

I've got this system which consists of an ADLink 2670 chassis, a 8570 pci and pxi card. Inside the chassis there's various Pickering cards all of which can be found in the device manager (although not in NI MAX). Inside the chassis there is also a NI PXI-GPIB card, this card is detected inside the device manager and also in NI MAX. However, I can't do anything with it. I can't scan (instant error), i tried troubleshooting but the second step always fail, the serial number in unavailable.

Now for the more interesting part, on a different PC, everything works. The only difference between the two computers is the OS, the one working is running on XP the other on WIN 7.

Do someone have a suggestion or an idea ? I know this could be a problem with AD link chassis and this a NI forum, but it seems like it's the GPIB card that won't work.

Have a good day and thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,915 Views)

We have had issues 'losing' all of our attached instrumentation.  We have found that it tends to be an issue with one of the instruments GPIB controllers locking the bus.  Try to remove all GPIB devices then run scan for instruments as you connect one instrument at a time until the culprit is found.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,866 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NicolasHar

Thank you for your reply,

It turns out replacing the ADLink PC8570 and PXI8570 with NI cards fixed all issues we had with this system.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,845 Views)

Also, keep in mind that you may need different Adlink drivers for Windows 7 than Windows XP, this may not be the root cause but would be a good place to start. I think changing to NI hardware is a good solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,342 Views)