Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview installer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a routine perfectly functional under Labview, where I collect data from multiple GPIB devices. All of them are connected via an USB port.

When I create an installer, on the laptop with the Labview licence all works well. If I try to deploy my installer to another laptop, it just record data from 1 of the 4 GPIB devices.

What am I doing wrong!

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,989 Views)

My guess would be that the laptop you installed the program onto is configured different. 

Check your NI MAX configuration on both computers to see if you missed something on the new laptop.  Are you getting any errors from your program?  Do you have any error handling in your program to let you know if there are any errors?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,968 Views)

Thank you very much, I will check the NI Max on both computers and the error handlings!

I will come back with an answer, many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,920 Views)

Hi,

I made a ppt file with how it looks my NI Max for the laptop with the labview licence (page 1) and the labview with the laptop with the installer (page 2). The only data recorded are from the GPIB 0, the rest COM6 and GPIB23 does not record data!

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,906 Views)

I post some information about the NI Max

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,905 Views)
Solution
Accepted by mulm

This is part of learning to program an executable program and all the fun that goes with it!

You have the original MAX that works (Page 1) - The installer MAX (Page 2) only partially works.  You need to think about your program.  You have not included your program so all I can do is keep guessing about your problem.  I am guessing that you did not add any error handling to your program?  Being able to read program errors will really help you troubleshoot your problem.

I will start at the beginning.  What is different between page 1 and page 2?  You say you can only read from GPIB 0 on the new install (page 2).  But you can't read COM6 or GPIB23 on the new install (page 2).  This is where error handling would really help.  It would most likely tell you that the program is not able to read from those devices.  Page 1 has COM6 and GPIB23 listed, Page 2 does not have a COM6 or GPIB23 listed.  Remember that your program is looking at specific addresses for data.  Since those addresses don't exist on the new setup it is not able to recieve any data from them.

You have to make sure the same devices exists in both versions of MAX.

Bryan

Message 6 of 11
(1,898 Views)

Thank you very much! I do not have the error handling :-), because I am keep learning Labview, maybe not in the correct way 🙂

I will think about the addresses and when I will find the solution to fix this, will let you know!

many-many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,891 Views)

Changing a GPIB Interface ID in NI MAX - National Instruments 

I think this is how I will change the GPIB address in NI-Max :-), this is a step forward 🙂

I have to learn also how to add the COM6 device 🙂

I am getting there, many thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,884 Views)

If you look at the software section in MAX on each computer you can see what is installed on each machine.  My first guess is the GPIB drivers are installed but not the VISA drivers on the new machine.  I am not sure if the VISA drivers install with the 488.2 GPIB drivers or not.  Take a look.

Bryan

Message 9 of 11
(1,878 Views)

Hi

For sure don't change you GPIB interface number. Keep it on zero except when you have two GPIB cards in your system.

The gpib23 address should be selected in your program and visible in max after you search for gpib devices.

That address is selected on the device and changed there if yneeded.

greetings from the Netherlands
Message 10 of 11
(1,876 Views)