Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instruments with same VISA name

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a setup with many instruments being controlled from a central computer. The program that I'm writing interfaces with a coherent OBIS laser through the VISA port ASRL8::INSTR, which works just fine. However, I need to add an Arduino to the setup, and the Arduino also has the name ASRL8::INSTR. I don't need to use VISA to control the Arduino, but having it present in the system interferes with my ability to control the laser. 
I thought that VISA names were supposed to be unique. How can I resolve this conflict? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(951 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BrendanMitchell

This implies you have two devices using the same COM port.  That sounds like a Windows level issue.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(947 Views)

You were correct, changing the COM port from the device manager solved the issue. 
Pardon my ignorance, but this article seems to say that a "COM" name is an alias that serves only as a more user-friendly way of referring to a resource's "real" name (such as ASRL8::INSTR, in this case). This implied that the ASRL name is a more fundamental thing than the COM name. 
However, if I understand correctly, it seems that underlying the VISA resource name is the actual COM port, which is in fact more fundamental than the resource name. 

Am I correct in concluding that the resource's COM port and its VISA alias are two distinct (and virtually unrelated) things, even though both of them are called "COM8"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(940 Views)

@BrendanMitchell wrote:

Am I correct in concluding that the resource's COM port and its VISA alias are two distinct (and virtually unrelated) things, even though both of them are called "COM8"?

"ASRL8::INSTR" directly describes the resource being used.  If using VISA Find Resource, "Canonical Name" is the term used.  Alias is a simpler name to point to a resource.  The default alias for a COM port 8 is "COM8".  In MAX, you can actually change the alias to something like "laser", and the alias will still point to COM8.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(922 Views)