From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing NI-VISA and NI-488.2 on Mac

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone successfully gotten NI 488.2 to work on Yosemite. I have tried all the above tips (manually loading kexts, running with sudo) but still get the "not installed correctly" error when trying to run the troubleshooting wizard.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(4,877 Views)

It appears NI's troubleshooting wizard is dead on yosemite. After forcing the OS to load the ni488 kexts the wizard still gives me the "not installed correctly" error.

Regardless of what the wizard thinks, they are loaded and I am using them succesfully.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(4,857 Views)

So right now I only have NI488.2 installed on yosemite. I have manually loaded the ni448k.kext and nipalk.kext kernel extensions using sudo kextutil/kextload. I am still unable to communicate with GPIB instruments. Anything else I need to do?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(4,833 Views)

Does your GPIB interface show up in the "GPIB Explorer" app?

Basic procedure I used:

- Install ni 488 version 3.0.1

- force kexts to load (nipalk loads on it's own for me. ni488k and ni488lock are the two I made launchd items to force)

- run gpib explorer to setup gpib interface

- open interactive control and connect to gpib devices to verify communication is working

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(4,819 Views)

Thanks for the help Carl. I am now loading the kexts using launchd (using kextload) so the three kexts are loaded at boot. (nipalk was also already loading on its own)

I still dont see my GPIB devices in GPIB explorer. To be clear I am using a GPIB-USB-HS adapter. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(4,796 Views)

Maybe I just got lucky and have an interface that still happens to work even thought it probably shouldn't. Did your same interface show up in gpib explorer on earlier versions of os x?

If your setup worked before yosemite and now it won't now even after forcing the kexts to load... that doesn't sound so good. I can't think of much to try other than verifying that every last ni488 realted file is removed and you're doing a clean install of the ni488 package before trying again

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(4,782 Views)

Following up on this subject, NI has now released NI-VISA 14.0.2 and NI-488.2 14.0 for OS X, both of which support running under 10.10. The 488.2 installer installs the updated version of VISA, as well as what appears to be the first Mac version of NI-MAX. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(4,501 Views)

Wow, very welcome news. Thanks to the people at NI for making my job a little easier...

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(4,467 Views)

Here is a link to the version of NI-488.2 supporting Yosemite for anyone happening across this thread looking for it:

NI-488.2 14.1 for Mac OS X

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(4,421 Views)

I had the same issue on my MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) where the crash report had the following issue:

/Library/Frameworks/nipalu.framework/Versions/1/nipalu

abort() called

I fixed it by going to 'System Preferences-->Security and Privacy-->General-->Allow' then checking 'National Instruments' then rebooting my MAC

Also, if you cannot click on Allow, try quitting 'MagicPrefs.app' or some other app which might be blocking the 'Allow' button.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(2,022 Views)