From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HART driver for Brooks MFC

Is there a HART diver for Brooks SMART Mass Flow Controler. Brooks is using the HART protocol on a RS232/RS485 interface, so where can I find a HART driver for my RS232/RS485 port.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(16,573 Views)
It depends on what application you're using to communicate with your Mass Flow Controler. If you're using LabVIEW or Lookout then there is an alliance company that has developed HART drivers for both pieces of software. Here is the company info:

CARDIAC
P.O. Box 4290
N-7002 Trondheim
Norway
Attn: Robert Almaas
Tel: +47 73 82 52 00
Fax: +47 73 82 52 22
Email: cardiac@cardiac.no
WWW: http://www.cardiac.no

If you're looking for a strictly serial driver for HART, then you have a couple of options. First, I would like you to submit a request for this driver at:
http://zone.ni.com/idnet/other.htm
We develop drivers based on demand and popularity so the more requests we have for it, the greater the possibility that we will develop one.

If you would like to try develop
ing your own instrument driver (or modify the existing one), we have documentation, model instrument drivers, and driver templates to help at:
http://zone.ni.com/idnet/development.htm

We also have a syndicate of third party vendors that specialize in National Instruments' products and services. Some of the vendors specialize in driver development. I would suggest contacting one of the Alliance members at:
http://www.ni.com/alliance

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(16,562 Views)
    I am interested in this hart driver apparently written by a company called Cardiac.  They no longer have a link to it on their website.

Does anyone have a copy of these vi's or any other that will run Brooks 5850s mass flow controllers through a rs485 cable?

Thanks

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(16,215 Views)

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, it looks like this Brooks 5850s instrument driver written by Cardiac is not available on the National Instruments instrument driver site either.  Have you tried contacting Cardiac about the missing link on their website?  Perhaps they can still get you in touch with a copy?

Regards,
Anna M.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 34
(16,193 Views)
Hi

I once posted a brooks visa approach on this site and cannot find it myself anymore.
I know it is here in the gpib visa discussion thread but.. where.

so I decided to post again.
It is a long time since I looked at the code but maybe it helps you.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(16,188 Views)
Albert,

I did see your post on the other thread, here it is,

it was extremely helpful am looking through the code and wondering if I can use your program with the RS485 interface to control multiple devices (as you can put up to 32 devices on a single rs485 cable although I only need to control 3 or 4).  I want to use your program because this flow control is going into a much larger labview program and using your vi it will be very easy to implement.

My other problem is that to use your program, or at least test it, but I need to find the "device ID" for my devices and don't know how to do that without "Smart DDR".  In our lab we have recently purchased some 5850s mfc's and my labmate who ordered the hardware either did not get "smart ddr" software or has misplaced it.

Any suggestions? or does anyone know where I can get a copy of "smart ddr" (I am obviously trying to contact Brooks)

Thanks

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(16,174 Views)
There was software that needed a key but would show the deviceID.
I don't remember exactly, but it was possible to look at the ID for at least 5 minutes.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(16,166 Views)
Hi,

I've just got myself some of the Brooks MFC's and found your thread when I looked for a VI.

Did you have any joy since you posted ?

I have also found a communications manual for them.

thanks in advance,

P
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(15,983 Views)

Hallo,

I had a similar problem with their MFC's 5850 and PC's 5866 some time ago. They made a new version of DDE application a couple of years ago but it did not really work well. It was still at the stage of beta version. I guess try to contact the people in Netherlands directly may be they can help. I found the easiest way was to use any NI card with analogue inputs/outputs to read and control the channels. But it is definitely a shame that they don't have the proper drivers for their instruments available. Have fun.

Karlito

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 34
(15,830 Views)
my lib does not use a dll, all labview coding.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(15,821 Views)