From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS driver not working under Windows 10

Hello, I would like to have a feed back  regarding an issue I am experiencing with the GPIB-USB-HS driver in Windows 10. Attached is the a snap of the VISA and NI-488.2 version I have installed. First time I installed the drivers it actually worked for windows 10, but after a windows update it did not worked any more. I have reinstalled the divers but still is not working. Can I have any feedback on how to proceed next. 

GPIB.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(18,488 Views)

Hello!

There are a few additional troubleshooting steps we can try.

• Do you have any other manufacturer GPIB interfaces on this same computer? Sometimes the drivers can interfere with each other depending on installation order. If you are only using NI hardware, proceed to the next step.
  • What does the GPIB-USB-HS look like in your Windows Device Manager? It should show up as a National Instruments GPIB Interface. See this article (KB 5W8DS21O) for manually associating the driver. If this does not work, proceed to the next step.
  • NI MAX stores a database of all of your devices and interfaces, and sometimes this can get corrupted. You can reset the MAX database using the steps in the following article (KB 4GA9TOQA). This WILL DELETE any DAQmx Tasks or simulated devices. If this is an issue for you, you can export your current configuration using the steps in this article (KB 2GJJ9SY1). The installed drivers should correctly add all of your physical interfaces again after resetting the database.

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(18,451 Views)

Hi Chris,

I also have the same issue and tried your suggestion, but this didn't work. The HS device just isn't showing in the device manager, yet NIExplorer knows it is there. I actually feel like Windows10 doesn't allow the device to work. Perhaps this is a red herring, but, when I restart the pc, the controller goes into ready state, when w10 starts the device goes into active, then goes off. If I unplug and replug, the device never gets into ready.

I had the problem about a month ago, so updated to 17, but w10 forced another update on me and now I think it stopped working since then. Actually, I also noticed my pc cannot find USB instruments like TEK2024 USB devices. 

Regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(18,178 Views)

Depending on the set up of your windows system certain Firewalls or Anti-virus software can block communication over USB.

Another possible step is trying to turn these off, restart, and then try again. 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(18,161 Views)

Hi Dane,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. So I checked the firewall and restarted. This didn't resolve it. It is a windows 10 driver issue. My is version is 1709 build 16299.125. Windows 10 is being explicit the drivers are unavailable. I also did a repair on my installation, this didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(18,154 Views)

Interesting,

Have you tried multiple different USB ports?

Possibly reducing the number of USB devices plugged into the computer?

Does the GPIB-USB-HS device work on a different computer?

If it is happening with multiple USB devices it could possibly be a problem with the Windows USB drivers.

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(18,125 Views)

I have two HS devices, neither are working on this pc... but both are seen, just no drivers supported... Both devices work on my office pc, both don't work on this pc (any port). This has the latest wX. It worked on here until the last update! I don't have any other USB devices on here when I'm trying to use the GPIBs. 

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if dell has done somethings in their control layers. So it is either going to be a dell update that resolves it or there is a genuine problem in the NI layer. I don't know enough about either so will work around the problem with serial for now. 

Plug and play used to be fun! When it's plug and not play, it's rather infuriating...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(18,097 Views)

I have enclosed a screenshot. My nose is near the grinder, people as asking me why I can't get this working. Dell just issued an update, that hasn't resolved it, so now it's NI turn. £1000 for each device is not cheap...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(18,081 Views)

Hi All,

As a next step, I would like to see if this issue is local to the computer or not. Please attempt to use the device on another PC with a fresh install of NI 488.2 and VISA. I would be surprised if the issue is related to an OS update, it seems to be a driver issue. In the past I have seen this issue be fixed with an OS wipe (re-imaging). Although it is not the most glamorous answer, wiping all possible corruption may be the next step.

Best!

Clint T.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(18,061 Views)

Hi Clint,

I just got your reply. I have the issue resolved.

So, you may be right that the issue isn't related to an update, it just so happens i had done an update, and then when i need to use it, i couldn't, the same day of the update. 

My procedure to resolve this was to, uninstall the NI software, and re-install...however I had to do this twice, the first never resolved the issue. The second time I went through my registry and removed all references to National Instruments, IVI, visa etc. After this, it worked. Half a day beats an OS wipe, that would have been days of reinstalling so i wasn't doing that.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(18,055 Views)