From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS and USB-8451 communication issues - not showing up in VISA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently started a new job and have been having communication issues between my GPIB-USB-HS adapter, my USB-8451 I2C/SPI interface, and Labview/MAX/VISA.  I installed 32-bit LabView, NI-488.2, VISA 16.0 and the driver for the 8451 onto my windows 7 desktop.  

In windows device manager, the 8451 shows up as an NI-VISA USB Device and the GBIP-USB-HS shows up as an NI GPIB Interface.  Both of these instruments are recognized in NI MAX as well but communication with the GBIP adapter (and connected instruments) fails and it cannot scan for instruments, and the self test fails with an unknown gpib hardware error (-37052).  The VISA Interactive Control also shows neither device.  

The ready light is on on the GPIB-USB adapter, and the 8451 flashes green as if nothing's wrong on its end.  I have uninstalled all NI software and reinstalled it, and I run MAX as admin.  Are there possibly some computer settings I have overlooked or need to change to open up communication?  Any other ideas on why I can't communicate with the devices?

Thanks!

Trey

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,595 Views)

Hello,
we have the same problem that started on Friday, PCI-GPIB card, if you have news please post in the forum.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,573 Views)

Hi trey2,

does your GPIB-USB device work on other computers? The failed self test makes it seem like something may be wrong with the hardware itself.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,528 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author trey2

It was a Device-Lock software my IT had pre-installed onto the computer blocking the USB port.  IT added the devices as trusted and now it works.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,456 Views)

It was a Device-Lock software my IT had pre-installed onto the computer blocking the USB port.  IT added the devices as trusted and now it works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,451 Views)

My IT department had some Device Locks installed on my computer that blocked the USB ports.  Once I got them to add these devices to a trusted list or something communication worked.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,450 Views)