Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between generic USBto232 converter & yours?

We received a quote regarding the USB to RS232 converter that NI sells. I am curious what distinguishes the NI version from a generic adapter that would be cheaper? For my application, I am using the adapter to receive input from an omega displacement sensor. We will need two sensors and thus two serial to usb adapters. What is the benefit of using yours?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,389 Views)
Hi John,

You ask a fair question.  There are cheaper solutions out there.  What you gain in price, however, you generally lose in quality.  Our converters are built for industrial applications.  The hardware and software are more robust and reliable.  Our adapters fully conform to the built-in serial port specification.  This is not always the case for some of the cheaper models and can lead to various difficulties (see this post). 

You didn't mention what environment you would be developing your application in, but if you are using LabVIEW, CVI or MeasurementStudio, then you gain the additional benefit of seamless integration with these products and all the benefits of using VISA.  If you are using something else, then you still get the benefit of Measurement & Automation Explorer (which comes with the NI-Serial driver for the adapter).  This utility has some great components to let you test communication with your displacement sensor. 

Lastly, our customers enjoy the benefit of our excellent customer service and support.  If you run into any issues with your application we will be happy to assist you in being successful with it.
Robert Mortensen
Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,369 Views)
Thanks for your help. Our application is a transfix roller test fixture for Xerox phaser model printers. I talked to a technical sales representative Friday and made the decision to go with a cheaper alternative. We are trying to pinch pennies to stay as close to budget as possible.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,352 Views)
Before you buy something cheaper, check this forum for user experiences with other USB->Serial adapters. Some work and some don't.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,343 Views)

From my experience, the hardware is the least of a project cost. It is the most quantifiable, but costs in terms of people hours trying to debug a piece of hardware that doesn't quite work can easily overtake the upfront purchase cost.

I prefer to go with a known quantity that works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,331 Views)