Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to a GWInstek AFG-2105 via USB

Good evening all,

I'm knocking off rust on my LV programming, and trying to incorporate a GW-Instek AFG-2105 Arbitrary Function Generator.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to specify sine waves (amplitude, frequency, and ramping) for an experiment.  The unit connects through a USB cable to my laptop, which is running LV02013 (and I believe I have NI-VISA installed; at least, I have VISA options in the block diagram functions).

• Looking in NI, there don't seem to be any drivers specifically for this unit
  • Looking in NI-MAX, I'm not seeing anything (and I don't see any USB options under "Devices and Interfaces")
  • There doesn't seem to be any exciting "found new hardware" message when I plug the AFG into the laptop
  • Looking on gwinstek.com, I found drivers for Labview 7.1 that show up as a LLB file (which is new/forgotten to me). Through that, though, I can pull up a variety of VIs that I can supposedly link to, but I need a resource for them.  Presumably, I'd get that through MAX, which isn't seeing anything...

So where I am is slightly stuck, but certain it's something small I've forgotten.  Would you guys mind taking a bat and knocking me loose?

Thanks!

-G-

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,115 Views)
The fact that you have VISA functions is not relevant. You have to actually install it. Verify in MAX. If the instrument emulates an RS-232 port, it will appear in MAX as a com port. The only other usb type of connection that would automatically appear would be a usbtmc type. The manual should tell you what type of usb it is.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,111 Views)

Finally got it to show up in NIMax using COM3.  Now I just need to keep hammering at it for a bit...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,092 Views)