From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Industrial Communications

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a PC as an NI EtherCAT master

Solved!
Go to solution

I am also trying to do the same thing - develop LabVIEW program for any EtherCAT manufactures. I was able to write an LV program for Beckhoff EtherCAT boxes with my PC as the master. I used ActiveX technology so I didn't need LabVIEW RT for my purpose.

But to devlop a generic LabVIEW program using my PC as an EtherCAT master, what exactly do I need? Do I need LabVIEW RT and NI-RIO drivers?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(8,044 Views)

Can I use Ackermann library to control any third party EtherCAT devices ?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(8,030 Views)

I am using an industrial PC as a real-time target.  The PC has a NI PCI-8232 card in it so I can communicate to Beckoff IO modules such as the EL2008 Digital Output module.  I have configured the real-time target and and setup the EtherCAT master and slave devices.  Are there any examples of LV RT communications with these IO modules or similar modules.  I am pretty familiar with use of LV RT as far as using DaqMX devices but starting to work with EtherCAT.  Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(8,021 Views)

The Master driver installs examples for LabVIEW. You should be able to find them within the example finder. Most of them are made for the NI 9144 ecat slave but you should be able to use modt of them with 3rd party slaves as well.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(8,008 Views)

Hello everyone,

Currently I am doing a same project as Smrgol but different hardware, I setup a Beckhoff IPC as Real time targer and I want to use this as my EtherCAT Master. Previously I am using ADlink EU-series as EtherCAT slaves, because of the missing of XML(ESI) file, now I am using Beckhoff I/O device asEtherCAT slaves.

I follow all the instructions in the documentation and other resources, but now I am stuck at the EtherCAT Master detection.

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/10555/en/

From the website above, I faced the problem at Step 4: Configuring the Network in LabVIEW.

No Adapter.jpg

From what I know so far, there are two factor will make this happen:

1. The compatibility of IndCOM for EtherCAT and NI-RIO version, my IndCOM for EtherCAT is 19.0 and NI-RIO is 19.1, which is compatible;

2. Set the one of the Ethernet Adapter's Adapter Mode to EtherCAT.

NI MAX.jpg

I also tried restarting my labVIEW, the Beckhoff IPC, changed ethernet port... but the EtherCAT Master was still undetectable in the LabVIEW. Please tell me what should I do you know where I am doing wrong, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(3,632 Views)

Hello 

Use compatable Intel lancard. From now on, it was OK only at giga intel lan card. PC1000 It was OK also.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(2,802 Views)

pro/1000GT

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(2,789 Views)

Hi  Kirayet.

I have the same problem.

Have you solved yours?

I have successfully set the second ethernet adaptor to EtherCAT in MAX.

What should I do to make LabVIEW recognize it in the project tree?

I use an Intel 82546 Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(2,647 Views)