cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8532 DNET card is not detected in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm using NI PXI-1031(4 slot PXI chassis). I have the following cards in the respective slots
Slot 1= PXI-8106 Controller
Slot 2= PXI-6259 card(AI)
Slot 3= PXI-6509 card(DI,DO)
Slot 4= PXI-8532 Card(DNET)

In MAX(Measurement & Automation Explorer), I was expecting all the above cards(PXI 6259, 6509 & 8532) to be detected under Devices and Interfaces. But only the AI and DIO cards are detected in MAX under Remote Systems>>PXI>>Devices and Interfaces.
PXI-6259 (PXI1 Slot2)
PXI-6509 (PXI1 Slot3)

The device net card, PXI-8532 is not detected in MAX. Does MAX shows/detects the DNET card?

In MAX, I selected Tools menu>>NI-DNET>>RT Hardware Configurations. Then a window prompts for RT IP address. After entering the IP address, I pressed OK. A message appears that no device is found.

Can any one help me how to detect the DNET card in MAX and do the DNET port configuration?

DNET driver version - 1.6.4

Thanks,
Raja

Message 1 of 6
(7,164 Views)

The 8532 board is the next generation of Devicenet boards and It requires a new driver. You can download this driver here. With this driver the board should show up in max.

DirkW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,152 Views)

Dirk,

Thanks for the reply. After updating the new driver, I am able to detect the DNET card PXI-8532 in MAX
New driver - NI-Industrial Communications for DeviceNet 2.1

PXI 8532.png

But Im not able to configure the Device Net port. In MAX, I selected the menu option Tools>>NI-DNET>>RT Hardware Configurations. Then a window prompts for RT IP address. After entering the IP address, a message appears that no device interface is found.

By default, the DNET0 port is configured for the card in MAX. So I tried to communicate from LabVIEW using DNET0 port.

After installing Devicenet 2.1, an additional function palette has been added for DNET in LabVIEW.
Old DNET function palette - Instrument IO>>DNET
New DNET function palette - Industrial Communications

My original application was written with old function palette VIs which corresponds to DNET 1.6.4 version. In the download link that you shared has a description about the driver compatibility. The description says still the DNET card PXI-8532 is compatible with NI-DNET 1.x LabVIEW VIs.

With the old DNET VIs, I tried to establish communication with DNET interface port "DNET0". But it shows error while opening the interface.

DNET old.png

Error Code ="-1074388957" - The Interface is invalid or unknown.  Solution: Verify that the interface is assigned to a specific port within the Devices and Interfaces branch of the Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX).

With the new DNET VIs(DNET 2.1.0), Im able to open the DNET interface successfully. But my original application was written in Old DNET VIs (DNET 1.6.4).

1. Do you know why the DNET 1.6.4 LabVIEW VIs are not working with PXI-8532 DNET card?
2. Can you help me how to configure DNET port in MAX for PXI-8532 DNET card?

Thanks,
Raja
LV 2009, Windows XP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,139 Views)

Dirk,

I have the DNET card (PXI-8532) inserted at slot 3 and it is detected under "Devices and Interfaces". But under chassis, slot 3 is not identified. It says "<Unknown/Empty>" for slot 3. Please refer the image below.

CSM2.png

Here is the list of softwares installed in PXI. Do I need to install anyother software to detect the DNET card approriately in MAX?

CSM3.png

MAX version 5.1.0f0, LabVIEW 2009, Windows XP

Thanks,

Raja

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,128 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RajGru

I try to answer both questions you have:

1. The new APUI is compatible with the old one but if you use VIs with the old APi you have to replace the VIs with the new ones. There is a whitepaper linked to the download page and here it is again that describes how to do so.

2. The devicenet driver does not support the plugin for the PXI chassis view yet. It only shows up under devices and Interfaces and the name is not changable either. Right now the driver uses the numbers in order of detection if multiple boards are present.

Both things will be addressed in our next release by the end of this year.

DirkW

Message 5 of 6
(7,111 Views)

Thanks Dirk. After replacing the old APIs(DNET 1.6.4) with the new APIs(DNET 2.1), I'm able to communicate with the DNET card, PXI-8532.

Thanks,

Raja

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,080 Views)