Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPi 3 (WiFi) with I2C Potentiometer need a wireless Temperature Sensor

Hej!

I have just setup an Rpi3 with and I2C DigiPot. The purpose is to control the heat system of my house (I bypassed the original pot that I always has to adjust to get a decent temperature when the outside temperature varies).

It's no hooked in, and I can easliy control the value via an LV-interface on my computer.

What I need now is an Temperature Sensor to create an automated adjustment = hopefully perfect temperature without having to adjust the pot manually 🙂

The main problem is that I need the temp sensor to be located far from the RPi...otherwise I could've just added an I2C Temp Sensor.

Question: Can anyone recommend a (I guess WiFi) Temperature Sensor that can be reporting to my LV-interface, or directly to the RPi?

Edit: In the future I hope to be able to have a web interface were I can change the desired setpoit (temperature) and do any other adjustments to the reg loop.

Best Regards, Viktor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,179 Views)

Hey Viktor, nice application!

i do have some sugestions that i tested myself and are working headless.

1) created an MQTT broker (this can be done with or without LabVIEW, i did without LV, by using nodered inside raspberrypi) an ESP32 with a DS18b20 connected, publishing on the broker and a LV application subscribing to the topic reading data.

2) an LinkitONE (without LINX) sending data though TCP dirrectly to port (5001 i guess) and listening on the same port using raspberry to get the data from TCP. In this case i used the BMP180 in i2c, and collected both temperature and atm pressure.

Possibly cheap application with Wifi capabilities.

i recommend the 1st because you can increase your application with differente sensors and topics.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,155 Views)

Thanks Jorge!

Option 1 looks really good and I'll look into it asap 🙂

Best Regards, Viktor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,104 Views)