From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Getting Started Tutorials for LabVIEW Community Edition with Arduino, Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black

Hello all!

We are excited to share 3 free new tutorials:

Getting Started with Arduino and LabVIEW Community Edition

Getting Started with BeagleBone Black and LabVIEW Community Edition

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and LabVIEW Community Edition

These tutorials use videos and numbered steps to walk you through:

1. Downloading and installing LabVIEW Community Edition
  2. Activating
  3. Configuring the hardware
  4. Exploring an example
  5. Creating a start-up application

They are part of a new set of Getting Started Tutorials. Most are available in multiple languages.

We’d love to hear what makes a tutorial helpful to you 👇.

Information Architect,
Digital Services and Support
Message 1 of 8
(7,377 Views)

Is there going to have a brazilian portuguese translation?

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,362 Views)

Hi Jorge,

We don't currently have plans for a Brazilian Portuguese translation.

Information Architect,
Digital Services and Support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,315 Views)

Do you need any help with that? I volunteer.

Jorge Augusto Pessatto Mondadori, PhD
Sistema Fiep
CLAD, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,310 Views)

Hi sir,

Thank you because this tutorial sure helped me to  answer my question about Labview running on a linux device as standalone.As a realtime application, how reliable is a labview VI running on a RP pi? Has anyone had good experiences running for days without crashing or something?

Another question, if i have a Labview license is it possible to use it for a commercial application?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,343 Views)

@Isaac84 wrote:

Another question, if i have a Labview license is it possible to use it for a commercial application?

What license are we talking about here? If you have a commercial Full Development or Professional license, then the answer is yes. But as soon as you stop paying for the subscription you also can't start the LabVIEW IDE up anymore. You still can use a Community Edition license to look at your code, but you are not allowed to edit it or build a new executable if it is for any commercial use.

Your executables that you build with the commercial license will however continue to run.

As to using Raspberry Pi's in industrial applications: I would not recommend it. The SD card on the Raspberry Pi is a notorious unreliable point of them. If you used a Compute Module 3 or 4 with built in Flash memory, things are a lot better but the SD card sooner or later will fail.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,336 Views)

Recently I started development of an embedded industrial system on RPi 4. It will control 4 or more RS232 peripherals inside our instrument using NI-VISA. It will also host an RS232 server for interfacing with users' PCs, based on a USB-COM-USB null-modem cable. And it will also host a TCP server for users who want to control the instrument over a network. It will also run a web service for checking the system status from a browser.

As of now, I have implemented the RS232 and TCP servers and the web service, and I have one RS232 peripheral (a temperature-humidity sensor) integrated into the setup. This allowed me to start stability tests of the system, and the first results are very promising: the system has run for several days without any problems, performing measurements and serving results over RS232, TCP and a web service. Next, I am planning to leave it running for a couple weeks.

My RPi 4 uses a consumer SD card, but I was planning to replace it with an industrial-quality SD card, probably write-protected, like Windows UWF (unified write filter). I would also use an SSD with a USB interface for storing user data. Rolf's comment makes me a little worried about reliability of SD cards, even industrial. Using an RPi Compute Module sounds like a good approach, although it will be more difficult to replicate the "drive" image in a production environment, as opposed to cloning SD cards.

Any comments on the reliability of industrial SD cards?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,318 Views)

Hi, I try to connect my Raspberry PI 5 with LabView pro. When i start the target configuration under Tools>>Hobbyist>>Target Configuration, LabView can not make a connection to the target. The PI is well configurated because i can reach him true the Putty program. I also can open the Blink VI from the Linx example library. Thanks for your comment.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,037 Views)