From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Git User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some basic Git Info

Although I have only spent about 8 hours trying to use git, this line made me laugh in agreement:

I want my VCS to be a tool, not another programming language.

Message 2 of 4
(5,415 Views)

Jeremy_Marquis wrote:

Although I have only spent about 8 hours trying to use git, this line made me laugh in agreement:

I want my VCS to be a tool, not another programming language.

I share these sentiments exactly!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,415 Views)

The sad thing is that it looks like bzr has gone into maitenance mode, which doesn't give me much hope of further development.  I didn't know it when I did my study, but Canonical (the main/only funder of bzr) pretty much requires any contributor to sign everything over to them which helped stifle outside development.  The bzr team has been disbanded and moved to other projects.  Apparently the development teams of bzr and Hg had agreed to merge the two projects until Canonical said they would have to own the rights to the resulting product.

So, I can either make a switch now, or continue to go with bzr until I can't anymore and then have to migrate more repos to something else.

So, I am currently reviewing git again trying to force myself to overlook how difficult it can be to work with.  I don't see myself going with Hg, but I may need to play with everything again.

Message 4 of 4
(5,415 Views)