cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus in FlexLogger

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.

I have just seen the videos and read up a little on the FlexLogger software. Unfortunately, I did not run across any information pertaining to Modbus communications. Before I download the trial version, does anyone know if the FlexLogger software supports IP Modbus for controls and sensing? In particular, I am looking to utilize this software with the Turck FGEN-XSG16-4001. Thank in advance. 

-- Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,183 Views)
Solution
Accepted by chriskern

Hi Chris,

Currently, FlexLogger does not support modbus. I've included a link to the readme where all supported hardware is listed.

FlexLogger 2018 R2 Readme
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/377046a.html#hardware

FlexLogger is intended to simplify data acquisition from CompactDAQ systems, but that comes with a tradeoff of limiting the scope of hardware that the program can interface with.

NickelsAndDimes
Product Support Engineer - sbRIO
National Instruments
Message 2 of 13
(8,153 Views)

Thank you. I had a feeling that was the case as I could not find any documentation on it, but just wanted to post to the forum to see if there was something hidden or a work-around. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,148 Views)

Hi chriskern,

As NickelsAndDimes pointed out, Modbus is not currently a feature in FlexLogger. However, FlexLogger is a new product that is under active development. I have a few questions about your use-case to help us understand your needs and help scope possible future development of FlexLogger.

1. Do you need to read just the raw data or specific signals?
    • If it is specific signals, do you need to select the signals at runtime or does selection during configuration suffice?
  2. Is this input only or do you need output as well?
  3. Do you need to send custom messages?
    • If so, do these need to be created a runtime or can they be created during configuration messages?

Thanks,

Andy

Product Support Engineer

Message 4 of 13
(8,141 Views)

@Andy,

Please see answers to your questions below in green. Thanks. 

1. Do you need to read just the raw data or specific signals?
    • If it is specific signals, do you need to select the signals at runtime or does selection during configuration suffice? I am not sure what you mean by "raw data or specific signals". If I had to choose, I would say I need channel-specific, pre-configured, raw data. 
  2. Is this input only or do you need output as well? I need both inputs and outputs via Modbus, and some of the NI cDAQ modules (possibly compactRIO as well in the future). 
  3. Do you need to send custom messages?
    • If so, do these need to be created a runtime or can they be created during configuration messages? Yes, I need to send custom messages, but they can be pre-configured. Hit 'Button A', send this message; press 'Button B', send this other message, etc. 
Message 5 of 13
(8,132 Views)

You can write your Modbus code in LabVIEW and write the data to Skyline tags which FlexLogger will automatically find. Checkout the example of how to use Skyline tags for FlexLogger at \Program Files\National Instruments\FlexLogger 2018 R4\Examples\Skyline Integration.

You need FlexLogger R4 and LabVIEW 2017/2018. Modbus is not part of LabVIEW unless you have the DSC toolkit or have the NI Modbus add-on library.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,793 Views)

Correction to my previous post. Modbus from the DSC module will not work since it's limited to 32 bit...you must use the NI Modbus add-on library

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,419 Views)

Hi chriskern,

I know this thread is a bit old but just wanted to reach out since we are looking into doing a FlexLogger plugin for Modbus interface and make it available on the NI Tools Network.

Were you able to develop your own module? If not, would this still be something of interest?

We've just release a Channel Email Alert plugin (https://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/218129) and are looking to develop more.

All the best,

Vincent

Vincent Carpentier, Ing./Eng.
CLA, CPI
Neosoft Technologies
www.neosoft.ca
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Message 8 of 13
(6,121 Views)

Hi Flexdirection,

I'm not sure I understand the question.

But with what we currently have, each time you add a new instance of our plugin you can define:

• Communication parameters
  • Type of registers to read
  • Addresses (range of addresses)
  • Polling rate

And you can instanciate as many instances as you want in order to cover all your devices and registers to read.

When the configuration is validated, registers are mapped onto equivalent channels. So can use them in FlexLogger to perform any other calculations/recording/etc...

Would that fit your needs?

Cyril

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
Message 9 of 13
(5,646 Views)

I'm interested in trying your modbus-flexlogger plugin

Can you share with me some more information on how to install and use it?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,393 Views)