FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem to upgrade FP-2010 Software

Hi!
I have a host computer connecting to a FP-2010 controller with a few I/O modules by a crossover Ethernet cable. In Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), under Remote Systems, I set the network settings, Find Devices and configure each I/O module without any problem.

Then, I noticed that this FP-2010 controller has the following software features:
-Fieldpoint VI Manager 1.0.27
-IA Control Environment 4.1.3
-NI Serial 2.0.1
-Fieldpoint Watchdog 1.0.27
-Labview RT 6.1.0

This prevents me to target this RT engine from the host computer due to versions conflict, because the host computer is using Windows XP and Labview 7.1. Therefore, I decided to update the RT Engine Software in MAX and this message pops up:

"The version of software you have selected requires a different version of the OS than is present on the target system. Would you like to update the embedded OS? This will remove previously installed software. The OS update will not be successful if the target is booted in Safe MOde. If the target is booted in Safe Mode, cancel this operation, boot the target in normal mode, and then restart the OS update."

So I clicked on "OK" and this message pops up:
"Error:The OS was not successfully upgrade. This could be caused by a communications error or by a failure writing to the target's boot ROM. If this problem persists, contact technical support.
Software update aborted. Note PXI-8140 devices must have a jumper shorted to upgrade their OS. Failure to do so might cause this error.

Simply emphasis that the controller was booted in Normal mode and I have previously installed Safe Mode 10.4.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,481 Views)
Hello,

The next thing I would try is reformatting the 2010. Right click on the device name under Remote Systems and select Format Disk. Once you have done this, right click on Software and select Install Software. This should install the correct versions of all software onto your FP-2010.

If you don't have the option to format disk, then ftp in to your controller and manually delete everything that you can, and then reinstall all software.

Let me know if this does not help.

Regards,
Sean C.
Message 2 of 13
(6,468 Views)
Since the FP controller had an old OS, I couldn't reformat it. I took your second suggestion and I manually deleted all the files in the FP memory, except the "Access denied" ones.

After that, MAX allowed me to upgrade the OS which I did. I believe the OS was successfully upgraded, because the "format" option of the controller bank appeared.

I reformatted the controller and applied the network settings without any problem. Then, when I tried to "Find Devices", "Install Software", or "FTP file transfer", the communication always failed ( Timeout message pops up). For that, I increased the "timeout" and "connect timeout" in timeout settings, but it didn't solve the problem. Sometimes this message pops up: "General failure communication to remote target".

What should I do next?

THANK YOU!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,456 Views)
Taan,

I have previously seen instances when upgrading the OS on the FP controllers, after the reboot, the Gateway IP address would be set incorrectly. Check the network settings on the controller, fix any incorrect ones, and reapply the network settings. After that you should be okay.

Regards,
Aaron
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,442 Views)
Hi!

I applied the Network settings which were used to work fine before, but nothing works now...

Same problem persists: Communication Time Out

I forgot to mention that in max, the status of the remote controller is "Safe Mode (improper installation)"

I am wondering if all this is caused by BIOS...
I don't know exactly what it means, but I read another discussion mentioning that it could be the cause of the status and it prevents to install software...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,397 Views)
Hello Taan,

At this point, I think it would be best to try to start from the beginning and try to reset the Network Settings. Reboot your cFP-2010 with the "Reset" Dip switch set to On. Clock on the "0.0.0.0" address under Remote Systems, and click on the "Suggest Values..." under "IP Settings" on the "Network Settings Tab." This should assign an IP address to the controller. At this point, you should be able to "Find Devices..."

Let me know if this still does not work.

Regards,
Sean C.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,379 Views)
Taan,

I have exactly the same problem and have not been able to fix it by any of these methods. Did you have any luck? I also have the FP-2010.

Lachy
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(6,279 Views)
Hello Lachy,

Have you tried connecting via cross over ethernet cable and resetting your FP-2010? Are you able to see the ip address of 0.0.0.0? Are you then able to set a new ip address for the controller?

Please let me know what you are seeing.

Regards,
Sean C.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(6,265 Views)
I had the same comm timeout error on my FP-2000. It wouldn't identify the hardware installed on the FP. I was able to resolve it with some help. My problem stemmed from incompatible software versions between my FP and host pc.
Installled on my FP module is:
LV RT 7.1
Datasocket for LVRT 4.2
N-Watchdog 2.1.0
NI-Visa 3.1
NI-Serial RT 2.5.3
NI-IrDA RT 1.0.1
Fieldpoint Drivers 5.0.2
FieldPoint VI Manager 3.0.0

I don't know if I need all of these or not, but that's what I have.
The NI support guy that helped me had me reinstall the RT software on the host pc, then the Fieldpoint software, then the drivers from the LV 7.1 drivers cd's. Then reinstalled all the software on the FP-2000. It finally worked. I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,825 Views)
Sean,

I am already using a cross-over cable. I have tried both formating and resetting the controller. I am able to detect the 0.0.0.0 and set a new IP for the controller (at least it seems to work okay (there were no error messages but it displays the message "improper installation" at the bottom after rebooting). However, I am unable to find devices or install/update software on the device. When I click install software it hangs for a while and then displays a timeout message.

Prior to formating I installed SafeMode 10.4. It seemed to install ok but reported an error after rebooting the controller (sorry I can't remember what it said), however I was still able to use the format command afterwards and it reported a successful format.

regards,

Lachy
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(6,242 Views)