From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I convert a 3mV/V signal from a load cell to something I can read using a field point AIO-600?

Solved!
Go to solution
I am using a 12V external powere supply to supply the voltage to the load cell and I am trying to read the information using a AIO-600. there is a separate module that can do this but is it possible to do this using the current hardware?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,281 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author russell-p

Russell,

The lowest input range for the AIO-600 is 0-6V.  This means you will have 12 bits (11.3 effective) of resolution spread over 6 volts.  I take it your full scale signal max will be 36mV.  Without amplification you will not have a very high quality signal.  The best bet would be to amplify your mV output signal as close to the load cell as possible and then connect this amplified signal to your AIO-600.

Best,

Chris LS

National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Visit ni.com/gettingstarted for step-by-step help in setting up your system.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,257 Views)

Russell,

Chris LS is correct, you need to condition the signal.  You can build your own using something like an AMP02 as the front end and a LF412 to buffer output signal.  Or you can purchase something like this .  Several companies make similar products.  Cheaper that buying a new cFP I/O module.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,244 Views)

Hi,

You will need a loadcell transducer that can convert the loadcell (bridge) output to normal voltate (-10 to 10V) or courent (4-20mA) output and then you can connect it to to your hardware.

Aviram

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,232 Views)