From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FieldPoint Family

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Field Point freezing while executing code

CarolK,

I was afraid things would really slow down once you starting closing every time.  One problem with using a global variable to pass the refnum is that the FP Create Tag.vi is also generating a unique refnum.  It's kind of a double whammy.

Can you describe in more detail your situation. How many different cFP do you need to interface to?  Is every system identical with the exception of the cFP Name and IP address?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(3,353 Views)

Hi CarolK,

Wayne.C might be right that opening the a reference to the same IAK file over and over again and then not cl;osing it like in "Bank Ready (SubVI).vi" could cause a memory leak and hang the controllers execution in the end.

But you do not have to change the "SystemID.VI". Instead you have to change all the VIs using the "SystemID.VI" over and over again.

See the attached Vi , which I changed to open the reference ones and close it at the end.

But there is another approach in case you have multiple targets and want to use the same code on each target. Your IAK information is saved not only within your IAK file but also on every FP target whenever you save your project.

The file that holds all the module information is called "fpbank.ini" file. Instead of the TAG VIs or the I/O node, you could parse this INI file to get the correct ressource string and use them directly with your write and read VIs.

See the attached Logger example. it uses the INI file in one of the Sub VIs. Hope it is not to much information for your skill level. 😉

DirkW

Message Edited by DirkW on 01-08-2010 01:14 PM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(3,350 Views)

Carol,

I've attached an example of how you might be able to speed this up by using a Functional Global/Action Engine.  Look it over and let me know if you have any questions.

I still believe that a much more efficient technique/method can be found to accomplish your requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(3,344 Views)

I did find this knowledge database article that may allow me to use the FieldPoint IO Point and duplicate the software to another system. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/BDFB4C0DC61396C9862574F300565A6E

I will have two test stands that will be using this application. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(3,341 Views)

CarolK,

Do a search on Real-Time Target Replication.  Those functions may help as well.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(3,339 Views)