Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd numbers for new message count

I've noticed something odd the last couples weeks with respect to the Feedback Forum.

I generally look at the New message column as a means to know if any new messages have been posted in the forum.  I have a mental note of where I'm at.  For this forum, I've had 2088 "New" message listed.  If that number goes up, then I know there are new recent ones in there and I go view them.  But lately, I'll read all of the new ones, and the number will only go back to 2089.  Then after a while (maybe hours?) the message will again show 2088.

Earlier, my number was 2088.  I noticed it was at 2094, which means I've got new messages, and should be 6 of them.  But there are only a total of 5.  I read them, refresh the board screen, and the number has only dropped back to 2089.

I'm wondering why there is a discrepancy in the numbers and it seems to bounce around a bit.  It seems to be primarily this feedback forum.  But I may have seen it happen occasionall to others like a Breakpoint.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 45
(5,705 Views)

And here I thought I was losing my mind...

I tend to just use the "Mark All As Read".  Then I would see that there are 2 new messages in the feedback board.  Go into that board and there is nothing new.  Happened to me a lot last week.  Have not noticed it this week yet.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 45
(5,700 Views)

Another user privately reported this recently. I believe it is a bug that occurs when posts are moved out of a board. I'll follow up with Lithium on this.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 45
(5,697 Views)

LiliMcDonald wrote: I believe it is a bug that occurs when posts are moved out of a board. I'll follow up with Lithium on this.

That would be consistent with what I have seen for a long time ("new" count still includes moved threads).  Were you guys archiving old post recently in this board?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 45
(5,690 Views)

No, but there were some topics created here that were moved to other boards as they were in the wrong place.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 45
(5,688 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Another user privately reported this recently. I believe it is a bug that occurs when posts are moved out of a board. I'll follow up with Lithium on this.

Thanks,

I do believe that moving messages would do this.  A new message that gets moved before I have had a chance to read it does seem to move the counter up by 1, but not reduce it by 1 when it is moved out.  I usually only see it happen on boards that I have completely read and keep at 0 New messages.  (such as the idea exchanges)  And when it happens on them, I do a Mark all as Read.

I was surprised to see it happening so much in the Feedback board, which isn't one that sees as much activity.  But part of what was surprising was not that the counter went up by 1 when there were no new messages.  But later on, the counter would go back down again.  I don't do a "Mark all as read: on feedback or other forums because I haven't read them all, and I like know if an old thread gets resurrected, if it is one that I have read before or not.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 45
(5,685 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:
I don't do a "Mark all as read: on feedback or other forums because I haven't read them all, and I like know if an old thread gets resurrected, if it is one that I have read before or not.

I'm surprised that this is worth enough for you to go through the mental gymnastics. I just mark all as read on all the boards I follow, which makes it much easier to see when there's new content. I would suggest doing the same.

Or you could just go over the boards and read all of the old threads...

(5,670 Views)

@tst wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:
I don't do a "Mark all as read: on feedback or other forums because I haven't read them all, and I like know if an old thread gets resurrected, if it is one that I have read before or not.

I'm surprised that this is worth enough for you to go through the mental gymnastics. I just mark all as read on all the boards I follow, which makes it much easier to see when there's new content. I would suggest doing the same.

It's actually not that hard.  I have a very visual memory, so I can just "see" when the number looks different and know that something is new there.

Or you could just go over the boards and read all of the old threads...

That is an option.  But with some boards like LabVIEW, I can't possibly keep up.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 45
(5,663 Views)

I am with Bill on this.  I, too, keep a mental database of the number of unread threads on several Boards.  On many Boards I make no attempt to read all. Some, like the LV Board have too much traffic, and in many cases there are threads in which I have no interest.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 45
(5,659 Views)

The next time someone sees this issue occurring, please take a screenshot of the homepage where the unread count displays, then the forum board where no new topics are found. I'm working with Lithium Support to troubleshoot the issue and it would help to have a particular incident that we can point to.

Just a few minutes ago, I moved a new topic that I created out of this board so let's see if anyone sees the issue now (assuming that may be the trigger of the problem).

Thanks for your patience!

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 45
(5,634 Views)