Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Message entry window problems

Is it me or is something happening with the Post Message entry window.

When I answer someone question, the Post Message entry window is display and I start to type in a response only to find it has stopped responding to my keyboard an even my mouse actions. After a few seconds the cursor reappears and I can carry on with my message.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(7,071 Views)

No.  It's not you.  I have found it an annoyance that began with the latest forum upgrade.  I think it is related to the Auto-Save feature.

(Right after I typed "feature." in this message, it did it to me in this message.)

See this message thread.  http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Discussion-Forums/Minor-bug-pop-up-menu-under-quot-Auto-save-...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(7,062 Views)

OK - ignore my question in the other thread, I can see that you are still seeing the behavior.  Does it happen for every post for both of you?

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(7,058 Views)

I switched over to IE8 for a few messages and I too see this problem. 

It does seems to have something to do with the first autosave of the message.  I will try toggling the compatibility mode.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(7,057 Views)

Update: I toggled the compatibility mode to off and the freeze didn't occur for the first Autosave.   Can you two try this?

Aside - why do they make it so difficult to tell if compatibility mode is on or off in IE8??

Thanks,

Laura

Message 5 of 18
(7,058 Views)

@Laura F. wrote:

Update: I toggled the compatibility mode to off and the freeze didn't occur for the first Autosave.   Can you two try this?

Aside - why do they make it so difficult to tell if compatibility mode is on or off in IE8??

Thanks,

Laura

I will and let you know.

My compatibility mode has been turned on.

Which OS are you using?  I find on my Vista PC at home, the difference in shades of blue for that compatibility mode button are very subtle.  On XP, the color scheme is a little more white or grey and is a bit more obvious.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(7,056 Views)

Hi Laura,

This doesn't occur all the time and but when it does I can get different symptoms.

Some times I get kicked out of the edit mode and end back at the forum page lossing what ever I have typed in.

I have all so noticed that when the edit page is displayed, sometimes the page does a small jump.

I am still using IE7 running on XP.

Where can I find this these settings for compatibility mode / autosave.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(7,040 Views)

Ray - IE7 doesn't have compatibility mode, so you won't be able to test turning it off.  I'll add IE7 to the affected browser list.

Ravens Fan - I'm using Windows 7. When I hover over the button it never tells me if it's on or off and the color is exactly the same as far as I can tell. 

Thanks,

Laura

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(7,022 Views)

It may depend on what theme is used in Windows 7.  I just looked at a Win7 machine and it seems similar to Vista in appearance, but a little different.  It had light grey or dark grey on that button if it was off, and a medium sort of blue if it is on.  It all depended on whether it was on or off, and whether you were hovering over the address bar or not.

The whole "compatibility" button in IE8 is kind of a hack as it is, and then to have a poor differentiation in color, especially in Vista and Win7 makes it that much worse.

I've been doing a few forum replies in the last few days with the button turned off, and I haven't seen the screen jump, lockup, go back a page issue, like I was seeing when the button was on.  So that may be the answer to the problem (at least for IE8).  I'll try with the button turned back on and see if it returns.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(7,018 Views)

Hi Laura,

I've been using IE8 with compatibility mode turned off vs. turned on for a few days now.  The problem with the editor window freezing up right after an autosave does not seem to happen with the compatibility mode button turned off.  Though, before the forum upgrade, I never had any problems with the button on.  So something in the programming changes with the upgrade has caused a problem.

But I do notice something odd with the forum screens with the compatibility mode off.  Things don't line up properly across the message listing with some numbers shown higher than they should be and some lower.  When I go to click on a number to go to the new messages, the number will jump back to its proper position.  It's nothing critical that makes it impossible to use the forum, just kind of a weird annoying behavior.  See the attached screenshot with the misplaced items circled in red.  This was taken with compatibility mode off.  With compatibility mode on, the screen always draws the message listing table properly.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(6,942 Views)