Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image embedding should default to "large"

As briefly mentioned here already, the default size for embedded images should be "large". This is not a photo sharing website where small thumbnails are sufficient to decide if we want to look at a picture in detail.

Most pictures here are small images of diagrams, and none are useful on "small" or "medium" setting. All we get is more wasted whitespace to the right of it!

When composing or replying, we need to glance at code images often and opening in a separate window (or even worse: popup) is just plain inconvenient! Please change the default to large if this is possible. Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
(6,574 Views)

Example: This embedded image is useless at the current size:

altenbach_0-1576862517318.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,425 Views)

Hi altenbach,

Thank you for your suggestion to make the default large for embedded images. We will review the impacts and possibility for making this change and may pursue developing this.

Best Regards,
Kristi Martinez
NI Community Support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,414 Views)

Please implement this soon, because the current situation is way too tedious. Most posters don't know how the set the size manually.

(recently, it takes two clicks to even get the sizing tool: first click selects, second click shows the size selector. Most don't get that far!)

• So we see a picture that is way too small to recognize anything...
  • We click on it, and details are still not visible
  • We need to maximize the view popup to actually inspect the image. 
  • Now we can actually see things, but it takes the entire screen, meaning I cannot edit a post while looking at it!
  • So I need to download the image, display it in some other program so I can actually look at it while composing a reply.
  • Way too many clicks!
  • Way too many inconveniences!
  • Way too limiting!

(The current behavior is optimized for photographs, where we can easily recognize if we've already seems that picture of that pastrami sandwich 😄 It ignores the needs of graphical programmers)

altenbach_0-1583252885113.png

Message 4 of 12
(5,096 Views)

Altenbach,

Good summary on all the issues with the new image system.

Add to that the fact those two buttons still don't have icons showing on them on the right hand picture.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,091 Views)

If it would be easier to implement in the meantime, would it be possible to at least show the image popup as wide as the browser window.

Currently, most of the time clicking on an embedded image will show a version of the image that is even smaller, which is of course completely useless and we need a few more clicks to maximize, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,015 Views)

While it seems that the image insert tool now defaults to "large" (good!), the same does not apply if we paste an image directly from the clipboard into the body of the text. In this case, the size is NOT large, but it should be too!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,902 Views)

A wonderful new addition is the tool in the upper right of images that opens the image at full size in a new tab.

altenbach_0-1590693615186.png

(No more need to click on an image just to get a popup of an ever smaller version that needs to be maximized to inspect, covering everything else on my monitor. 🙂 )

This is fantastic!

Message 8 of 12
(4,835 Views)

I would like to re-visit this topic and again suggest that if we paste images into a composition, the image size should be selected as large, not medium. Almost 100% of all posted diagrams are not recognizable on the default size, and especially if there are several images it is tedious having to click and enlarge each one before we can even look at them.

We have (at least) two ways to embed images:

1. Using the camera tool from the tool bar. Here the size defaults to large and we are all good!!!
  2. Copy an image to the clipboard (e.g. from MS paint), then pasted it into the edit window. Here is the problem!!! The inserted image defaults to "medium" and it requires a few clicks to make it large. Most don't know how to or forget to do it, leaving us with stamp sized embedded image previews that are completely useless for code inspection.

altenbach_1-1615909804656.png

Message 9 of 12
(4,119 Views)

Hi @altenbach ,

I fully agree with your assessment. We do have a backlog item on this issue. The last time we looked at it there were blocking issues. I'll have the team look at it again to see if we can move it along.

Cheers,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,110 Views)