Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bold links in notification feed, why not?

First thing in the morning I typically check the notification feed to see what got marked. Each notification has a link to a post, of course. I don't think I have ever seen a bold link that would indicate that that particular thread has new activity. However, this would be useful information!

If I click on such a link it takes me to that thread and will thus automatically mark it as read, and if I don't intentionally scroll to the bottom, I will never know that there was new activity and will potentially miss a new answer or question.

In summary, the links in the notification feed should be plain or bold, depending if there is new thread activity.

Is it already implemented? I don't remember ever seeing a bold link.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,353 Views)

Hi Christian,

The Notification Feed does display notifications for new posts within topics that you are subscribed to. While the subject title is not bold, you should see a blue indicator next to the new notification. Are you perhaps not seeing all new posts notifications?

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
Message 2 of 7
(3,346 Views)

Sorry, I was not clear. You are talking about a different thing.

We have:

(A) new and seen notifications. That is indicated by the blue bar and works fine. From what I can tell, the blue bar only shows if the directly linked post either received new kudos or got newly marked as solution. It does not indicate that there are new posts in that thread.

(B) All notifications (new or old) link to a post in a certain thread. This thread might contain new activity by others. If there is new such activity, the notification link should be bold.

I am talking about (B). This would make it consistent to what we see e.g. in the post history, where entries are bold if there is new activity.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,341 Views)

In the Notification Feed, you should see notifications for not only kudos/solutions, but when someone replies to a topic that you are subscribed to. For example:

notifications.png

Do you see this behavior in your feed?

I can see a use case here of displaying the bold titles for new activity in the event that a user is not subscribed directly to a topic. I know that some users do not subscribe to all topics that participate in due to performance issues and/or do not want email notifications. This behavior would also be consistent with other areas of the site - such as on the user profile in the various components. We can raise this enhancement to our community provider.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,319 Views)

No, I never subscribe to any topics, because of (1) information overload, (2) very long ago, the site became way to sluggish for frequent posters. (not sure if (2) is fixed now).

I rely on boldness in my list of recent posts and would also like to rely on boldness in the notification feed to remind me to scroll to the end of the thread after I look at my posts. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,314 Views)

No, unfortunately there still seems to be performance issues for users that subscribe to a large number of topics. The recommendation is to clear out very old subscriptions on an occasional basis.

~~~~~~~~~
Message 6 of 7
(3,311 Views)

Revisiting this thread, I still would like to immediately see if any thread in the notification view has new activity. It should show in bold. This would be a welcome enhancement!

(I don't subscribe to threads, but if somebody kudos e.g. an old post or idea, I would like to know of there is new activity so I can investigate)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,765 Views)