From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching video file to posts?

Solved!
Go to solution

I've just tried attaching an mp4 video file to a post over in the NXG preview sub forum, but keep getting a message to fix the highlighted errors when attempting to actually submit the post (nothing is highlighted). The file itself is only 4.7MB. I figured it was an attachment size issue, so I re-encoded the video to only 870kB, but it still won't let me submit the post.

Can video files be attached to posts?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,170 Views)

I cannot provide a solution, but tell you what I do instead. I just upload the video to Youtube, and set its privacy to "unlisted". In this way it does not appear in searches or recommendations to the public, but anyone can see the video with the provided link. Usually this is a good enough way for me...

edit: and the forum engine allows you to embed the Youtube video into your post even directly...

Message 2 of 6
(3,140 Views)

I have been using Jing which uploads to Screencast.  But I've seen some use youtube, and some record screen activity as a Gif and upload that to the post.

Message 3 of 6
(3,121 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up embedding an extract of the video as a gif, but wanted to attached the mp4 for a little more context. I'll look at a streaming options in the future.

I guess the original question still stands though - can mp4s or other video files be attached to forum posts?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,070 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelBalzer

Hi Michael,

You received the error because mp4 files are currently not one of the accepted file attachment types. We are looking into if we can make this exception.

Also, normally you would see an error message with a better explanation than what you encountered. We will capture this issue in our backlog.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,060 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MichaelBalzer

MP4 files can now be attached to posts.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~