FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO imaging problem

Hi,

We are a rookie team and when we were imaging the cRIO, we always got an error saying that it could not image it and that we format and turn off safe mode. we reformated and turned of the safe mode but the same error pops up. What is the problem? Any help would be great thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 65
(34,288 Views)

Hi x0220,

Are any of the LEDs on the CRIO on or blinking (other than the power LED)?

Are you able to see the cRIO listed under Remote Systems in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 65
(4,846 Views)

@ x0220,

I just got our cRIO II formated and imaged.  I was not able to image the cRIO with a direct ethernet connection.  I tried a hub/switch and it worked like a charm for me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 65
(4,846 Views)

I flat cannot image my cRIO II. An cRIO classic images perfectly. I can ping the cRIO II, I made sure to disable all network interfaces other than the one for the image deployment. I disabled the firewall. I can see the cRIO II in MAX just fine.

I did try using a switch vs a direct connection. I made absolutely sure I had labview + all the patches released

thus far (installed in the correct order). I've tried from two separate PCs to make sure it wasn't something

specific to my system. I had two cRIO II and both fail in the same way. The exact error was:

Unable to complete operation because of unexpected error:

Error -2147220304 occurred at nisyscfg.lvlib:Restart.vi:1

Possible reason(s):

NI System Configuration:  (Hex 0x800404B0) Timeout while waiting for reboot. System is offline.

Complete call chain:

nisyscfg.lvlib:Restart.vi:1

ConfigUtility.lvlib:2012_FormatSystem.vi

ConfigUtility.lvlib:ReImageTarget.vi

ConfigUtility.lvlib:Dialog.vi

Any help/hints much appreciated. Has anyone been able to image their cRIO II???

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 65
(4,846 Views)

Hey wolfeman555,

This is actually an issue we ran into at one of the kickoff events here in Texas. It seems to be related to the computer being used to run the imaging tool. We are still tracking down exactly what causes it since it seems to only happen on a small selection of machines. Can you provide us information about the two machines you have attempted to image with? Operating System, Ethernet Chipset, Processor, etc would all be helpful. 

I would also double check a couple of other things in case this is not the issue. I would try to image the cRIO using a crossover cable - with only one NIC enabled- as you already described. Double check that you are setting the static IP and subnet address correctly on the NIC you are using.

I would also make sure that the cRIO can be pinged at the ip address you configure it for.  You may also try and reformat the controller before attempting to image.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 65
(4,846 Views)

I have the same issue as wolfeman555.  I can image the old cRIO's but not the new ones.  I recieve the exact same errors.  I have tried turning off the firewall, disabling ipv6 and any other uncessary NIC features, and using a switch vs direct connecting.

Here are my hardware specs:

Dell Precision M4500

i7 (Q840)

Win7 - 64bit

Intel (R) 82577LM Gigabit Network card

I am positive that my network settings are correct b/c I have been able to image our old cRIO's.

Also, how do you reformat the new cRIO-II's?  The only way I know how to do it with the old ones is to move the dip switch to safe mode.  Is there a way to reformat the new ones?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 65
(4,846 Views)

@Lorchness

"Also, how do you reformat the new cRIO-II's?  The only way I know how to do it with the old ones is to move the dip switch to safe mode.  Is there a way to reformat the new ones?"

Set the cRIO II in safe mode by holding down the reset button for 5 seconds.  After 5 seconds, the status LED will illuminate and then enter a 3-blink mode.  The status LED 3-blinks indicate safe mode.  While in safe mode, use the cRIO imaging tool and try to format it.  During this process it will identify safe mode and ask if you would like to format the cRIO. 

Not sure if this helps, but I would also recommend turning off windows update and any other tool running in the background that tries to access your internet port.  I would also try a 100MBit hub in lieu of your other connections to the cRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 65
(4,846 Views)

You will also want to make sure you can FTP to the controller (test if you can access it through a Windows Explorer window). If you have FTP functionality blocked this can cause issues with the imaging tool.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 65
(4,846 Views)

>During this process it will identify safe mode and ask if you would like to format the cRIO.

using MAX, you can set it into safe mode (no dip switches for the II). You can't format it via the imaging tool at this point.

The image tool tells you to unset safe mode before you can proceeed....

re: FTP

kevin, I assume FTP is working fine cause I can image a standard cRIO just fine. Is the FTP

path somehow different for the cRIO II?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 65
(4,846 Views)

No you are right, if its working for the old controller and not the new one I suspect its the issue we have seen with specific ethernet chipsets. We have a PC here that reproduces the error and are looking at a workaround. For now I would see if you can get it to work with another machine.  Ill post back here as we get more information.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 65
(4,846 Views)