FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project file names

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working with a last year rookie team.

If you modify one of the default VIs (Begin.vi, Finish.vi, Teleop.vi, ...) can you change the file name to indicate it has been modified, or does it have to stay the default name in order for Robot Main.vi to correctly find it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,475 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dresar

You probably don't want to go down this path.

In addition to the project, any other VIs that look for this VI are looking for it by name and relative paths.

If you change the name, it'll break the project and every other VI looking for it until you go through and update all of those.  That's not exactly ideal.

Though, I'd recommend taking a look at something more along the lines of git/SVN as a way to manage changed versions rather than new file names.  That's a better overall solution for version control and maintaining older versions after updates.  It also won't cause a problem with the new names (as the name itself won't change).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,429 Views)

@dresar wrote:

I am working with a last year rookie team.

If you modify one of the default VIs (Begin.vi, Finish.vi, Teleop.vi, ...) can you change the file name to indicate it has been modified, or does it have to stay the default name in order for Robot Main.vi to correctly find it?

Basic answer: they should keep the standard names so CLA's and other teams don't get lost in the names when trying to help.

Fuller answer: if you change the name via file - save as - rename (and have the project open) LV should update all the references.

You might want to think about a version control system like Git  (what I and my past teams use) or Mercurial (also somewhat popular).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,425 Views)

Thank you for your Answer.

That was what I was expecting.

I will have to look at the changes that were made to the individual VIs and make sure all of the changes have been incorporated into the default file name.

I have just started working withe the robot code, although I have been using LabView for many years.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,422 Views)