Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Series support?

Does National Instruments plan to provide DDK support (xseries.cpp/.h) for the new X Series boards?  How about documentation for the STC-3?

--spg 

------------------
scott gillespie
applied brain, inc.
------------------
Message 1 of 13
(11,061 Views)
Hi Scott-

NI does not currently have plans to provide DDK support for X Series devices or STC3-based products.

What type of applications/device(s) were you interested in with regards to the X Series devices?  I'd especially like to find out which features of the STC3 you're interested in, and specifically the features that are not available on E or M Series devices. We can use this type of information to track demand, since we're always re-evaluating the addition of support for these devices.

If support is added later, we will post it up to the MHDDK webpage.

Thanks in advance for your feedback-

Ed 
Message Edited by ewaxler on 08-17-2009 01:45 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(11,052 Views)

I have several different custom OS X drivers for M-Series boards.

One of these drivers supports very high speed event-counting using DMA.  Since the M-Series counter FIFO is only 2 samples deep, at very high speeds (e.g. when sampling near 1MHz.) the FIFO gets overrun when there is any significant latency on the bus.  I note that the X-Series has a 512 sample FIFO, which would solve this problem.  

Also, I know my clients would be extremely interested in the simultaneous a/d sampling on multiple channels available on the new boards.

Finally, the 2 extra counter/timers available would be extremely useful for some complex tasks.

Thanks,

--spg 

------------------
scott gillespie
applied brain, inc.
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(11,049 Views)

Hello,

We have been happily using the MHDDK for a while in order to use the PCI-6220 board under Linux.  However, we've had to upgrade to the PCI Express bus, and so we purchased the PCIe-6320 to replace it.  Unfortunately I have found that I can't use this MHDDK driver for this X series board.  Are there _really_ no plans to support it?  At the very least, I have been looking for the register-level documentation.  Is this available somewhere?

thanks,

Steve 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(10,624 Views)
You could also use the PCIe6251 or PCIe6259, both m-series boards.
------------------
scott gillespie
applied brain, inc.
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(10,621 Views)

Thanks, we'll look into it but the cost difference might be prohibitive.

I'd rather get complete documentation (i.e., register level description) for the product we have already purchased, if it's at all possible.  Are there any plans to release this information?

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(10,618 Views)
Hi everyone 🙂

Yes, NI intends to support X Series in the DDK, and many thanks to people who've voiced their interest.

Documentation on the hardware interface will be similar to that of M Series and the 660x boards (which is a nice way of saying incomplete). The project plan hasn't been created yet, so I cannot estimate when the RLP manual and examples will be available.
Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
Message 7 of 13
(10,584 Views)
This is excellent news!  Thanks for the update.  I'll keep watching for it.  That NI is willing to support this low level driver and provide register programming information is a major selling point for my project.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(10,579 Views)

indeed, this is awesome.  I have some clients who will be very happy to hear this news.

thanks!

------------------
scott gillespie
applied brain, inc.
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(10,577 Views)

Do you plan to support the PXI6682 and PXI5404 boards for Linux? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(9,781 Views)