From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

module to only read tags

Hi all,

from what I understand only one UDP module can be paired with another one, so that each tag may have only one writer. That's fair enough but what if I wanted to have N readers? What if want to be able to spin up N instances of a lightweight "viewer" user interface that does not control but just displays data? Seems like it should be possible, as it is UDP after all- a many to one interface. All you have to do is listen and decode the packets. Any simple way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,561 Views)

Hi Mark, right now the UDP module doesn't support this but you could modify it to get that functionality. We are considering on having a Tag Viewer module but we haven't had time to make it. 

In here the best option would depend on what your are using as  "lightweight viewer". If its just a simple VI you could create a new UPD module (modify the existing one) to just broadcast and then create the VI that is decoding the information.

Another option is you could create a module that uses a web service to publish the tags and then you could jus view the Tags. 

Benjamin C
Principal Systems Engineer // CLA // CLED
Message 2 of 3
(3,541 Views)

Hmm I'm kind of leery of using a web-service because then the cRIO has to handle requests which could come from many users and it has more important jobs to do. I'll look at modifying the UDP module. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,530 Views)