Distributed Control & Automation Framework (DCAF)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem adding EtherCAT device variables to Scan Engine module

I'm using a cRIO 9030 with Linux RT connected to an NI-9144 chassis via EtherCAT. I am able to get shared or user-defined variables from the cRIO I/O to show up on the Scan Engine module under the cRIO in the DCAF Configuration Editor by using the Import Project button. My goal is to get all of the variables mapped into the Shared Memory module.

My problem is that I am unable to figure out how to get the variables from the NI-9144 I/O to show up in the Scan Engine module. I have tried setting the module up in both scan mode and FPGA mode. Both modes work fine if I want to read/write the I/O using a vi on the host but the channels for these variables do not show when I import the project into the Scan Engine module. Apparently they don't show up under localhost?

I would appreciate it if someone could get me pointed in the right direction.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,946 Views)

Hi Steve,

You're right, EtherCAT items aren't currently pulled in via the import button.  I'll add an issue in our github repo to add that.

For the EtherCAt items, you also have the option to manually add in IO variables to the scan engine module.  We build up the address by concatenating the protocol, hostname, and variable name.  If you're not sure what address your EtherCAT items have, one way is to drag the IO item to a block diagram, then right-click and choose Replace with Programmatic Access.  The address created there is the one we need.  Just press the + button on the DCAF scan engine module configuration page and enter the components of the address and select the right data type, repeat for as many items as you want.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,799 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thank you, that works fine. I had tried various entries but not the correct one - ha.

Message 3 of 3
(4,799 Views)