Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi-4071 register-level programming manual?

Is there any register-level programming information available on the pxi-4071? I'm interested in using it from Linux, and am capable of writing my own driver if documentation is available.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,172 Views)
fmhess,

You may want to consider using drivers that have already been developed for Linux. More information regarding Linux support for modular instruments can be found here including a link to the drivers. These drivers are supported on many of the major distributions and include support for the PXI-4071 through the use of NI-DMM 2.5 for Linux.

Supported Distributions
- Mandrakelinux 10.1 Official
- SUSE Linux Professional 9.3
- SUSE Linux 10.0
- Mandriva Linux 2006
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,160 Views)
Thanks for the info. However, I have had mixed experiences with the closed source Linux drivers provided by NI. It took them years before they decided to provide support for 2.6 kernels with their pxi-mxi-2 Linux driver. An unmaintained closed-source driver is almost worthless. I'm not going to put my faith in NI's Linux driver support and build a system around it.

I'm actually more interested in the higher speed pxi-5922 now. Is there any register-level programming documentation available for it (I'm aware of the ni-scope driver)?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,150 Views)

Hello fmhess,

Unfortunately, National Instruments does not offer any support or documentation for register level programming with high speed digitizers.  The only way to use these products in linux is with the NI-SCOPE driver for linux.

You can download this driver here:

http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/77EFEABA82D566B5862570D00055AE9C?opendocument&node=13206...

I hope this helps,

Sean Close

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,140 Views)
Bumping this topic again to see if any register-level programming manual is available for the pxi-4071 or pxi-5922 nowadays. The Linux drivers have not been updated in 5 years.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,353 Views)