From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best bench DMM for laboratory and LabVIEW

hi,

I want to buy some DMM for my lab. Till today I was buying Keithley / Tektronix 2000 series DMMs but they are pretty old and maybe there's a better choice ?

The must have is a good support in LabVIEW, preferably using USB cable without GPIB / 488/ RS-232 adapter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,130 Views)

I am also a big fan of the Keithley 2000 and I have not seen any evidence of it going away.  If you are looking for a new bench top DMM, you might want to consider a VirtualBench.  Otherwise, I just use handheld Fluke meters and NI PXI DMMs.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,117 Views)

For Handled solutions we are pretty happy with Sanwa PC7000

Maybe we'll continue with Keithley 2000 USB (2100)

the thing is that for the same money you can have a brand new shiny DMM6500 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,114 Views)

The DMM6500 has a few more features and lower measurement ranges than the 2100 (and even the 2000).  It also has an emulator mode for the 2000 if you have code already written for them.  For most cases in the 6-1/2 digit class of multimeter, I'd recommend the DMM6500 (Out of the Keithley product line that is, I'm a Keithley Engineer).

There's also a selector guide on the Tek website if you wanted to compare specs, the last page has a really helpful table: https://www.tek.com/document/selection-guide/digital-multimeters-%28dmm%29-selector-guide

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,098 Views)

"I'll post on the NI forums asking for the best bench-top DMMs..."

Bold move Cotton! 

My business card says I have to recommend a PXIe-1095 full of PXIe-4081s

or PXIe-4082's if you need L or C measurements 

Smiley Wink

On a serious note:

It'd be good to know about your requirements outside of just the interface. 

"Best" is pretty subjective depending on your measurement requirements, budget, etc.

Does it need to have a display and buttons on it for instance? 

You can also check out our instrument driver network (IDNet) to see if the instrument you're looking at has an available LabVIEW Driver (quality and usability will vary): http://www.ni.com/downloads/instrument-drivers/ 

Message 5 of 6
(5,095 Views)

We need universal DMM 6½ digit, up to €1500, external trigger, 4 wire resistance measurement, modern interface, very good and stable LabVIEW support, optional switching card.

The DMMs will be used during standard laboratory measurements and hardware's debugging and extended logging / automated measurements.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,076 Views)