Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Risk when using PXI 4110 output 0 in wrong quadrant?

I'd like to use PXI-4110 Output #0 in Quadrant IV (source 0V, sink 6mA) for a "digital pin continuity test" I am developing.

I've verified that on my one system, forcing 6mA INTO PXI-4110 Output #0 while programming this output to maintain 0V (with a 1A current limit) "works".  I've verified that the output voltage does not vary from 0V at this load.  Can I rely on this operation over multiple PXI-4110 cards and over time?  Is there a schematic of the Output #0 output stage available so that I could review it?

More details:

I have a digital DUT.  The DUT's Vcc pin is being driven from PXI-4110 Output #0.  All of the digital pins on the DUT are being driven from a PXI-6552 HSDIO card.  Before I power up the DUT, I want to run a "continuity test" on all of the digital pins.  The digital pins have an ESD protection diode to Vcc.  So, by programming Vcc (4110 Output #0) to 0V and driving the pins to +1V from the 6552 outputs, the ESD diodes should clamp at +0.7V and the 6552 outputs end up sourcing 6mA ((1V - 0.7V) / 50 ohms) _INTO_ Vcc.

Like I said, this test is currently working on my 1 copy of my system, but I need to know that it will work over many copies of the system and that I am not damaging the PXI-4110 output in the process.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,647 Views)

Broke,

The PXI 4110 is designed to be in Quadrant I for channels 0 and 1 and Quadrant III for channel 2, and this device is not designed to be a sinking module within the Quadrant IV. Although you may be able to achieve this, it is not designed to do so and could potentially cause damage to the device. It states within the SMU help that in the event of an inverse voltage or current, an internal protection fuse may blow to protect the device and it is not recommended. To answer your question, you may be able to have it work on multiple modules but it can cause damage and we do not recommend this. If you are interested in Quadrant IV sinking, go with the PXI - 4130 or PXI - 4132 for reliably sinking in the forth Quadrant.

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
Message 2 of 2
(5,638 Views)