From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to achieve high sample rate using two DMM 4065 simultaneously or just one ?

Hello all,

I have been working on collecting data using two DMM 4065 (for current and voltage) which I recently purchased from NI. These two DMMs along with a few other modules (including a switch) were pre-installed to a PXI-1036 system. I followed the examples and tried my best but still could not get a high sample rate using my VIs. The max sample rate I can achieve now is about 25 samples/s. However, it seemed the DMM itself was sampling at around 3000/s using the included " Maximizing DC reading vi" example, and this could also be seen when using a waveform chart. However, the waveform chart does not show correct time and have limited default data storage, so I created a XY graph which showed the current time but it lowered the sample rate significantly. What I need is to achieve high sample rate simultaneously for the two DMM 4065 , and if two is not possible, one should also work as long as it has high sample rate (>200 samples/s) . I have attached two VIs I modified from the examples. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I ran the sample vi " Maximizing DC reading" with only added a waveform chart, the total points acquired were 17702 at a rate of 2974, as seen in the attached figure. I then exported the data from the wave chart, it only showed 104 data points. I am confused why the two showed different data points when they were sharing the same data source. And is there any way to export the acquired 17702 points to a txt or excel file? Thanks a lot.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,149 Views)

AndrewZhu,

Try writing your data to a file rather than pulling it off the chart.  That should give you every data point the DMM is reporting.  You could use a write to measurement file express VI for starters and then move to lower level VIs.

There is a good white paper discussing TDMS logging here 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3539/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,121 Views)

Hi, StaysKool

Thank you. Your suggestion is absolutely right. It has been solvd by this way.  

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,118 Views)