Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get the offset value used by Autozero?

I'm using a 4071 DMM that has a DC offset on the current measurement (10mA scale). I can't use the Autozero function because I'm getting a waveform. Is there a way to get the value used by the Autozero function so I can subtract that from the waveform?

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,766 Views)

Hello GS,

I would recommend using the NI Soft Front Panel (SFP); Null Offset feature.This feature stores the current reading of the DMM and subtructs it from any future readings. The stored offset is shown on the display and you can reset it by disabling/enabling it. The NI DMM SFP can be found by navigating to Windows Start>All Programs>National Instruments>NI DMM>Soft Front Panel.  

Best regards,

Ali M

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,738 Views)

Thanks, but I really need to get it programatically to include in my program.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,728 Views)

Why not calculate the DC bias by yourself?

Did you went through the instrument specific properties?

I don't have a 4071, so I couldn't tell if this value is stored seperatly, and how it is recovered.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,715 Views)

Have you actually tried using AutoZero with waveform mode?  I used to be on the NI-DMM software team and it seems like autozero with waveforms were supported.  If I'm remembering correctly, the autozero measurement was taken once at the beginning and then used for the entire waveform.

Mark S.

Former NI-DMM Software

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,704 Views)

The help specifically says that autozero doesn't work with waveforms.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,700 Views)

I don't see where it says it's not supported?  I see where AUTO will turn it OFF in waveform mode, but I really do believe you can turn it on explicitly.  I'm looking at the niDMM Configure Auto Zero help.  Is there another help page you are looking at that says something different?

Mark S.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,693 Views)

Maybe I misintrepreted how it works in waveform mode. When it said it turned it off, I figured that meant it turned of Autozero altogether. So if I configure Autozero to be On instead of Auto will it stay on for waveform mode?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,689 Views)

Yes.  From the way I read that paragraph and from what I remember of the implementation, it is describing what the driver will do if you set autozero to auto in those configurations.  If your use case requires a different behavior than that provided by auto, you can explicitly set it to on, off, or once depending on your need.

Mark S.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(6,686 Views)