Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with connections of rotary encoder to ni 9411.

Solved!
Go to solution

sir i have a rotary encoder of nemicon corp. model no. NOC-SP2500-2MD-10-100-00.

It has 8 wires for connections like this-

red   = +5v

black = 0v. common

green A         blue A bar

white B         gray B bar

yellow Z        orange Z bar

i connected it to ni usb module NI 9411 like this

red - 4

black - 12

green A - 1

blue A bar - 9

white B - 2

gray B bar - 10

yellow Z - 3

yellow Z bar - 11

but when i opens my daq it tells no device is connected or if i runs any example then it tells no power is given to device. i made only these connections. please tell me where is the problem in it . i am using rotary encoder first time.

mpsingh
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,550 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author M.P.Singh

Do you have a 5-30VDC power supply connected to Vsup and COM?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,540 Views)
is it required to give externel supply to usb cartiage (module). but ni didn't provide any type of power supply equipment to us. or we have to give externel power supply 5-30 volt from any other source.
mpsingh
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,528 Views)

The manual says if you need to power the device (ie encoder) you need to connect an external supply. All the examples in the manual show an external supply.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373506c.pdf

I re-read your original post again, it appears that MAX or LabVIEW cannot detect the 9411? Did you install the drivers?

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,522 Views)

sir 

i can get now digital output from tha rotary encoder , can u send me any simple example of measuring angle or angular speed.

thank you for replying me. 

mpsingh
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,516 Views)

Under LabVIEW Help, select Find Examples and search on encoder. I think there are some vi's in there already written that are compatible with your hardware.

What solved your issue? Adding the external supply or installing the drivers (or both)? EDIT- I see you marked the power supply as the solution.

-AK2DM

Message Edited by AnalogKid2DigitalMan on 06-12-2009 07:43 AM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,510 Views)

sir

i connected my encoder to labview and now it is giving us a value of 0 & 1. i tried with every example but it is not working.  somebody told me that it is a mechanical encoder so its vi will be different. i send u all the information about the encoder in mine first problem. which diagram will help me.

or please send me a simple vi which is easily understandable. 

please reply.

mpsingh
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,440 Views)