Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIO-96 Device Number Issue

I have three DIO-96 cards installed on my PC.  How can I modify the device number for each?  Within Measurement & Automation Explorer the properties and delete options are blanked out...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,945 Views)

Hi Seth,

Is the card physically in your computer (shows up green in Measurement and Automation Explorer) or is it simulated (yellow in MAX)? If the card is physically in your computer (green) than the delete will be grayed out. This is because the card is required to appear in MAX in order to be used for any programming, no matter what language is being used, therefore we do not want to delete it. Simulating a card (yellow) in MAX is typically used for programming when a physical card is not available, therefore still allowing the development of a program. Deleting this card is allowed in order to give maximum flexibility for how many simulated cards are in MAX.

The ‘properties’ option is available for some cards to enable configuration of filters, conditioning terminal blocks, and other extra options. Since the DIO-96 is only a DIO card, there are no extra options available and therefore the ‘properties’ option is not available. Renaming is allowed on all DAQmx devices and can be done by right-clicking on the device and selecting ‘Rename’.

David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,929 Views)

David,

The card is physically in the computer and shows up as a green icon in MAX. 

How can I change the device numbers on any of the three cards?  Is there a physical switch or something? 

Thanks,

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,914 Views)

Hi Seth,

We can change a DAQmx device name by right-clicking on it, and selecting ‘Rename’. Once this name is entered, the same name will be used to reference the device in LabVIEW. In the example picture below, I have taken my PCI-6251, and renamed it to ‘Dev2’. We can then see that I use ‘Dev2’ in LabVIEW to reference the device.

The same can be done for your DIO-96.

If you are using your device as a Traditional DAQ device, you can right-click on it and select ‘Properties’. Next, change the device number and hit OK. (see picture below)

Message Edited by David L. on 12-04-2007 09:21 AM
David L.
Systems Engineering
National Instruments
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,901 Views)

David,

I never realized the DIO cards would show up in the Traditional NI-DAQ Devices list.  That is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

Seth

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,898 Views)