Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6501 OEM example

I am working with a 6501 (OEM version), and I tried to use the "6501 Interactive Control Panel" example.  That sample program successfully communicates with my board, but not in the correct way.  Here are the problems I am experiencing:

• The OEM version and the standard version have different pinouts
  • When I have channels set as inputs, they output +5V
  • When I have channels set as outputs, they do not output anything....... nor do they read

I believe this example program is very close to working with the OEM version, but some changes need to be made.  I have very limited LabView experience, and I am not familiar with how all those sub-VIs work.  Has an adaptation program been developed for the OEM board?  Maybe there are some simple changes I can make to the code?  Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,761 Views)

What is the "6501 Interactive Control Panel" example and where did you find it? it is not one of the shipping examples in LabVIEW.

It should not matter what model of the 6501 you have. Using the DAQ Assistant or the LabVIEW examples, you specify a named pin (i.e. port0/line1) and not a physical pin. What happens when you test the device in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,758 Views)
My issue was resolved.  My test equipment was causing some unexpected results, but the 6501 is working properly with the example.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,752 Views)

How to find 'interactive control Panel Example' ? I can not find it in the Labview help example, and I do have DAQmx rather than DAQmx base.  Could you please send that example ?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,626 Views)

Hey hygeia44,

The Interactive Control Panel example for the 6501 actually uses the DAQmx Base drivers and not the DAQmx drivers. Although you could modify the existing example to use the DAQmx drivers, it would be much simpler to just install the DAQmx Base drivers. Here is a link to the download page: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1077/lang/en

Regarding the example itself, here is a link to a KnowledgeBase article that has the 6501 llb file containing the example attached: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AF0F31EE5D2AD23F862573140009D7C2?OpenDocument

I hope this helps!

Lars
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,610 Views)

Hey Lars,

Thank you for your fast reply and I found the example after installing the NIDAQmxBase 320 software.

I have another question regarding my application. I try to use USB 6501 and USB 6525 to control the stepping motor by logical signals 1/0. My questions are

1)How to connect USB 6501 and USB 6525, I'm not sure the function of USB 6525.

2) I guess it should be like 5VDC input to USB 6501 then output voltage to USB 6525(as input) , and then USB 6525 output logical signal?  Is that correct or I do not need USB 6501?

2) Can USB 6525 be used as parallel port to output logical signal ?

3) Do you know similar vi examples for this kind of application ?

Thank you!

Melody

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,601 Views)

Hi Lars,

One more question, after I installed the DAQmx base 3.2, MAX can not recognize the USB 6501. I tried at least three methods in the KB and forum, it still doesn't work. I have DAQmx 8.8 and DAQmx base 3.2 installed.  I also update the fireware for DAQmx base.

What I should do now to switch back to DAQmx ?

Thank you!

Melody

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,598 Views)

Hey Melody,

Are you trying to use the 6525 as a stepper controller, or do you have a controller already?  If you have a stepper controller, you simply connect two of the DO lines on the 6501 to the step and direction inputs on the controller.  If you're trying to use the 6525 as a stepper controller, keep in mind that the 6525 digital lines are software-timed, which means there is no generation clock to keep the pulse train output hardware-timed.  This means that each DO update is initiated by the host computer, which adds a large nondeterministic layer to your application.  Since you're trying to control a stepper motor, you need to get a hardware timed board (such as the 6221, 6251, 6229, 6259, etc).  An even better option would be to use one of our stepper controllers (ni.com/motion).

As I mentioned above, the 6525 is software timed, so we cannot use it as a parallel port as the update rate would probably yield something around 2b/s.  Again, this is due to the software-timed digital generation on our board.  We have no clock on the digital lines on either of these boards and must wait for the host computer to update the output each time the state changes. 

There are several DIO examples available in the Example Finder (LabVIEW»Help»Example Finder»Hardware I/O»DAQmx»Digital Generation)  I would strongly recommend using one of our motion controllers for this application.  We could get your motor working with the hardware you currently have, but it would probably not work to your expectations.

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,574 Views)

Hey Melody,

Are you referencing this KB?

Follow the directions listed under 'Switching to NI-DAQmx'

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,572 Views)

Hey John,

I did try this option and it doesn't work. So what I did is just uninstall the DAQmx Base 3.2.

Thank you !

Melody

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,570 Views)