From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using boolean variable with Select Case

Solved!
Go to solution

I have setup a dialogue box with two radio buttons and allocated B1 as a variable for it, having a value of either 0 or 1 depending on the choice of radio button.

I then use Select Case to examine the value of B1 and find that Case 0 and Case 1 doesn't work, but Case False and Case True does. My code is:

B1=1
Call SUDDefLoad(AutoDrvUser&"Actions.sud")
Call SUDDlgShow("Analysis")

if DlgState = "IDOk" then Select Case B1 Case False Call ScriptStart("GetData") Case True Call ScriptStart("GetContData") End Select else Flag = 0 Call Err.Raise (-1) 'Autoquit end if

A similar dialogue box written by a colleague uses the same concept for the radio buttons and variable, but his code works because he uses an If statement to determine the value of B1. His code is:

B1=0
Call SUDDlgShow("Decimate")

if DlgState <> "IDOk" then
  Call Err.Raise (-1) 'Autoquit
end if

If B1=0 Then
  NoPts = Val(T1) 
Else 
  NoPts = L2/Val(T1)
End If

Why the difference in behaviour with the use of B1?

Thanks,

Simon.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon_Aldworth

would it ever be true?

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,516 Views)

The confusion deepens. You seem to have proved that B1 cannot use 0 or 1, and must use True or False instead. 

I tested my colleague's code and it seems you are correct. His code only worked because he used "If B1=0" and "Else", which is the only case that turns out true in your experiment!! I have changed his code to use True and False.

However, the DIAdem help files state that a Boolean variable type can take the values TRUEFALSE or "YES", "NO" or 10. See here for example in 2018 online help. Not at all helpful!!

Regards,

Simon.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,503 Views)

The docs are fooling us... the only "truthy" value i found was -1

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,500 Views)