DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand the different names and relationships within the DIAdem product family

Hello,

Could someone please tell me if I've understood the DIAdem product line correctly?

---------------
In the beginning, there was "local" DataFinder which came bundled with DIAdem, and there was DataFinder Server Edition (DFSE) which was a separate product.

• "Local" DataFinder is usable on a single PC only, while DFSE supports clients from other PCs.
  • DSFE Professional edition can also host a "Federation" of other DFSE instances (Advanced/Professional editions) which aggregate data together.
  • DFSE is sometimes called simply "DataFinder Server" (without "Edition").

DIAdem is a client application for DataFinder.

In 2017, Data Preprocessor and Analysis Server were introduced. Data Preprocessor is a new feature in enabled in DFSE Advanced/Professional, but Analysis Server is a separate "entity" from DFSE.^ Nonetheless, Analysis Server is never sold standalone, but is always bundled together with DFSE and DIAdem professional, under the name "Data Management Software Suite".

The Data Management Software Suite is also called "TDM Server"

A SystemLink Server instance can host a Data Navigator web application that acts as a DFSE client.

---------------

It took me much longer than expected to figure all this out, and I still don't feel confident that I've gotten it right. Did I get it right?

^ It's confusing because this article talks about Data Preprocessor as a feature of DFSE, while this article considers Data Preprocessor a separate "entity". I think NI would benefit if their product development, marketing, and documentation teams got together to work out a clear, simple, well-defined product packaging.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,010 Views)

Hi JKSH,

first of all, most everything you summarized is correct - except the very last one opens a new context...

"A SystemLink Server instance can host a Data Navigator web application that acts as a DFSE client."

The former Data Management Software Suite is now part of National Instruments server platform: SystemLink.

While DIAdem is (still) the desktop client to DataFinder, additional and new web applications such as Data Navigator has been developed for searching using DataFinder and providing search results (files) to other (non-DIAdem) applications. Furthermore a file transformation is included, so that files found by DataFinder can be converted to TDM, TDMS or XLSX before downloading.

---------------

Two sentences on Data Preprocessor confusion: It is an own entity when it comes to configuring/using the app. However it is bundled (from a sales perspective) with DataFinder Advanced and Professional.

Message 2 of 3
(1,968 Views)

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your confirmation and clarification!

@StefanR wrote:

The former Data Management Software Suite is now part of National Instruments server platform: SystemLink.

While DIAdem is (still) the desktop client to DataFinder, additional and new web applications such as Data Navigator has been developed for searching using DataFinder and providing search results (files) to other (non-DIAdem) applications. Furthermore a file transformation is included, so that files found by DataFinder can be converted to TDM, TDMS or XLSX before downloading.

Yup, I've seen NI's work in integrating DIAdem and DataFinder into SystemLink.

What's not yet clear is how the different components are licensed. I know that we need a Server license for a SystemLink Server instance, and a Node license for each edge device (e.g. CompactRIO) that's managed and monitored by the SystemLink Server.

Would I then get a separate Data Management Software Suite license in order to use DataFinder through this SystemLink server?

@StefanR wrote:

Two sentences on Data Preprocessor confusion: It is an own entity when it comes to configuring/using the app. However it is bundled (from a sales perspective) with DataFinder Advanced and Professional.

If I've understood correctly, the 3 license levels for DFSE are Base, Advanced, and Professional; Data Preprocessor comes included when I buy Advanced or Professional. Do I get Analysis Server if I buy the Base license?

Also, am I right in thinking that the Data Management Software Suite will always include DIAdem Professional (so I can't choose DIAdem Base or Advanced), but I can choose between DFSE Base, Advanced, or Professional?

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,952 Views)